- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Succulent Chicken Breasts in Mushroom Cream Sauce
Total Cooking Time: 30 min
2 5-ounce boneless chicken breasts, preferably with the skin and fat removed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium shallot, minced
1 cup shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons dry vermouth, or dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth, preferably reduced-sodium
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp minced fresh chives, or scallion greens
1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt on both sides till all are mixed well.
2. In a medium size pan, heat oil and add the chicken. Fry the chicken for about 12-15 min flipping once or twice. Make sure the chicken is nicely golden but not burnt. Remove from heat. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
3. In the same pan, sauté the minced shallots until fragrant. Add in mushrooms and sauté them for 2 min until they are nicely soft and tender.
4. Add vermouth (or wine) and let the mixture simmer until it is fairly reduced.
5. Scrape up any browned bits that may stick to the pan. To this, add in the chicken broth and cook until the broth is reduced by half. This would most likely take about 2 minutes. Whisk in cream and chives (or scallions) and let the broth simmer further.
6. Add the chicken to the simmering broth. Stir well to uniformly coat the chicken with sauce. Keep it over heat for about 1 minute until all the contents are nicely and evenly cooked. Transfer to a plate and serve with toasted bread and mashed potatoes.
275 calories, 15 g fat (5 g sat , 7 g mono), 84 mg cholesterol, 5 g carbohydrates, 25 g protein, 1 g fiber, 373 mg sodium, 370 mg potassium.