Super Easy Meal Idea: Open-Faced Italian Sandwiches With Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil
A Delicious Meal Doesn't Have to Take Forever
When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I was obsessed with tomatoes and cheese. I ate salads with like, 3 pieces of lettuce, a heaping handful of cheese, and 2 sliced tomatoes. I made homemade salsa on a daily basis and ate 2 tubs of it. I put tomatoes in omelets with tons of cheese and also made plenty of homemade pasta.
I like to cook from scratch, but towards the end of my pregnancy, I was just too tired. That's how I came up with the idea for these super easy tomato, mozzarella, and basil sandwiches. The recipe is nothing too unique or clever, and other people have probably been making them for years. That doesn't make them any less tasty, though.
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 8 slices mozzarella (use the good stuff, not the cheap kind)
- basil, chopped
- olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
In just a few minutes, you'll be eating your very own delicious tomato, mozzarella and basil sandwich.
- Slice each tomato and sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
- Slice your mozzarella cheese if you followed my advice and bought the good stuff. If not, use the pre-sliced stuff from the deli.
- Coat the top of each slice of Italian bread with butter or olive oil. Skip this step if you want to trim a bit of calories and fat.
- Arrange a few mozzarella slices on top of each slice of Italian bread. Add the tomatoes. Generously sprinkle the chopped basil on top of each slice of bread.
- Line an oven-safe tray with aluminum foil and set your bread on the tray. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 7 minutes at 350 degrees.