- Food and Cooking
Sweet And Spicy Southern Slaw (Feeds Six)
A quck and easy southern style side dish.
A savory coleslaw to go along with any of your favorite southern classics. I recommend pairing it with a zesty Louisiana style fried chicken and creamy mashed potatoes.
- 1 whole green cabbage, shredded
- 1 whole tomato, medium dice
- 1 whole (seeded) jalapeno pepper, fine dice
- 2 whole cellery sticks, quarter in. bias cut
- 1 whole red or yellow bell pepper, medium dice
- half cup sunflower seeds, removed from shells
- 1 bundle green onions, finely chopped
- half cup mayo
- half cup BBQ Sauce
- to taste salt
- to taste cracked black pepper
- Prepare vegetables. The cabbage can be shredded with a cheese block or chopped finely with a knife. The tomato and the bell pepper should be diced about the same size. I like to leave the tomato seeds in to add additional flavor to the dish. A fine dice on the jalapeño insures the heat will be evenly distributed amongst the coleslaw. Jalapeño seeds can be added for extra heat. The finer chop of the green onion, the better the flavor distributes to each bite. I also add quarter inch slices of celery to add extra crunch and freshness.
- When your vegetables are prepped toss them into a large mixing bowel. Add your half cup of mayo and BBQ sauce ("Sweet Baby Ray's" and "Jack Daniels" are two great brands or you could use your own). Throughly mix the coleslaw until the mayo and BBQ sauce are evenly blended in with the veggies. Garnish the top of the coleslaw with the sunflower seeds.
- Chill in the refrigerator for approximately 20 minutes, then serve and enjoy