Yield I loaf
Prep Time 30 minutes
Baking Time 50 minutes - another 15 to 20 minutes
1 cup sugar
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup almonds, slightly toasted 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. stir in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and almonds. Mix until it forms a sticky dough.
3. Knead on a slightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 2 portions.
4. Knead one portion with cocoa powder. Add more cocoa powder if color is too light. Knead until smooth but slightly sticky.
5. Roll the chocolate dough in a log, about
4 inches long. Place on a sheetpan lined with a silicone mat.
6. Divide the plain portion in half and roll into a 14-inch log. Place the plain log on each side of the chocolate log. Press gently logether to form a slightly fattened shape.
7. Bake tor about 30 minutes and allow to cool for *0 m;nu:e$.
8. Using a serrated knife, cut legs diagonally into about Va- to Vi-lnch-thiek slices. Lay on the sheetpan and ba'ite tor another 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are dry and crisp. Cooi on wire racks and store in an airtight container. Serve with good cofee.