Vegan Bran & Fruit Muffins
Did you like my muffins?
There's something about this muffin...
Before Trader Joe's came to my town, leaving California meant living without the little dense muffins I loved. So, I invented these. They're not the same, they're better. I just ate one for breakfast with yogurt and and a banana and, after countless batches, I'm still in love with this muffin. The candied ginger gave this batch a nice bite to start my day - a little extra sass for this morning's belly dance class.
- 1/2 cup each dried ginger & dried cranberries, diced (I don't cut cranberries or raisons)
- 1 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tblsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
Make your muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin pans (coconut oil or paper muffin cups).
- In small bowl, soak dried fruit in 3/4 c of the juice (feel free to substitute whatever you have - I've used orange, apple, carrot, white grape...) for about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. (I love cinnamon and tend to go very heavy. I've also used cloves and nutmeg. This is an easy recipe to experiment with.)
- Make a well in the dry mixture. Fill the well with remaining 1/2 cup juice, then add soaking fruit and juice.
- Stir until just mixed and fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.