- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
The Best Ever Scrumptious Coffee Cake recipe
I truly can't say enough about this coffee cake! This is definitely a treat when we get this for breakfast.
My husband is definitely the cook on this one as it's his baby. It takes a little prep work, and takes a little longer than we'd prefer to cook, so we don't do it very often.
But once we have leftovers, he gets about 9 pieces and I get about 3. lol It really is that good!
We end up eating it, not just for breakfast, but walking past the stove and picking off pieces as we walk by. How can you go wrong with fluffy, airy cake and a brown sugar crumble?
When it has chocolate chips, or especially peaches in it, it goes even faster.
- 1 1/2 cups + 3/4 cup flour, separated
- 5/8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- (Optional) chocolate chips
- (Optional) canned peaches
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a rectangular casserole dish generously with cooking spray.
- Combine all dry cake ingredients (1 1/2 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all wet cake ingredients (shortening, milk and your egg) in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix well with a hand mixer until smooth. Try to work out all of the chunks for nice fluffy cake.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared pan.
- If you are using any fruits or other additions (like our optional peaches or chocolate chips), this is the time to add them on top. Peaches are SO incredible in this dish!
- Now it's time for the topping! Mix all of your topping ingredients (3/4 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter) together until crumbly.
- Sprinkle your topping evenly across the top of your yummy coffee cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Depending on your elevation (we're at 5000 feet), you may need to cook it a bit longer.
- Sometimes it takes us a little longer to get that center cooked. But boy is it worth it!!
|Serving size: 1 piece out of 12|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 18 mg||6%|
|Sodium 200 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You'll have to try it for yourself to truly understand the power of this breakfast, dessert, or whatever you want it to be.
Throw in your own special add-ins to make it your own, but whatever you do, just make it.
In the case you need some more variety, I'm in the process of making a way more breakfast recipes to make sure you're mornings are just as amazing as every other part of the day.
Be on the lookout for some great food experiences!