Easy Recipe for Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Rhubarb - What do I do with it?
Rhubarb is not a common favorite for most people. Including me.
There are very few ways that I will eat rhubarb, and Rhubarb Cake is one of them.
The only other way I eat rhubarb is raw, when I am cutting it up for Rhubarb Cake. There is just something about that sour, crunchy, summer snack that appeals to me.
My son likes rhubarb sauce. I've eaten it, and I think it's best on top of ice cream, but I'm really not that partial to it.
The Best Rhubarb Cake
This cake is a wonderful addition to the kitchen for family snacking.
The sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top makes this an excellent coffee cake. It would be a great snack to bring to a bridle shower or a baby shower.
The rhubarb taste is very mild and very enjoyable. Amaze people who 'hate' rhubarb with this tasty cake!
When you are slicing your rhubarb, you will notice that it has 'strings' attached to it, similar to celery.
Just keep thinly slicing your rhubarb, once finished, peel the 'strings' off and separate into your measuring cup.
When picking your rhubarb, find stalks that are deep red in color and at least 1 inch thick.
Slice the rhubarb as close to the bottom of stalk as possible.
Trim the leaves off (these are poisonous) and then rinse under cold water.
Dry with clean towel.
Aliens are coming to tiny Brixton, Montana…to eat at the truck stop. Find out if it’s true that Cheryl’s salvation lies in discovering a long-lost secret recipe for rhubarb pie—which might just be the best, and the most dangerous, pie in the galaxy.
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/2 Cup Shortening, or margerine
- 1 Cup Sour Milk, 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice plus Milk to equal 1 cup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Rhubarb, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Mix the brown sugar and shortening together until smooth. Make the sour milk (put a teaspoon of lemon juice in measuring cup and fill with milk to the 1 cup mark. Let sit 2 minutes. Add to brown sugar mixture.
- Mix in the vanilla, soda, salt and egg. Mix in the Rhubarb. Mix in the flour. Pour into a greased 9" x 9" pan.
- Mix the 1/2 cup of sugar with the 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle across the top of the cake. Swirl with knife if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 Fahrenheit (175 Celsius)
|Serving size: 1/12|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Sodium 11 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Rhubarb is Good for You!
- Rhubarb is 95% water and contains a fair source of potassium, contributes minor amounts of vitamins, and is low in sodium.
- Rhubarb's crisp sour stalks are rich in vitamin C, dietary fiber and calcium. The calcium is combined with Oxalic Acid, which makes it harder for the body to absorb it.
- Rhubarb is somewhat acidic (pH 3.1-3.2) but in most recipes this is normally offset by sugar.
- One cup diced Rhubarb contains about 26 calories.
Freeze Rhubarb to Use All Year Long
Inconsequential Rhubarb Nonsense
Rhubarb when raw is so tough
And its leaves contain poisonous stuff,
But when cleaned and de-soiled
Dipped in sugar and boiled
Then the stalks are quite tasty enough.
By: Peter W
Recipe Book - Great Reviews
Additional Rhubarb Links
- The Rhubarb Compendium
All you ever wanted to know about rhubarb.. but didn't even know to ask.