- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Chocolate Souffle Recipe
There's No Fear When Making Chocolate Souffle!
This recipe is so easy, you'll wonder why you have been afraid of making a souffle at all. The resulting chocolate souffle is rich, creamy, fluffy, and above all taste like you studied the culinary arts all of your life. When I first worked to develop a good chocolate souffle, I must admit I found the thought pretty daunting and felt I was sure to fail several times. Once I discovered this easy, yet delightful chocolate souffle recipe, I was able to make this classy and majestic dessert anytime I had the urge. And so can you!
The list of ingredients is short (6), and each is likely to already be in your kitchen. Allow yourself around an hour and a half combined prep and cook time and get ready to make the easiest chocolate souffle recipe you will ever find!
How Will You Rate This Easy Chocolate Souffle' Recipe?
6 Easy to Find Chocolate Souffle Ingredients
- 5 oz / 150 g unsweetened chocolate
- 4 oz / 125 g butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup / 125 g super fine sugar
- 6 eggs (fresh eggs work best), Separate the yolks and whites
- 3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons flour, sifted twice
Let's Make Chocolate Souffle!
Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C. (Make certain your oven is at temperature before beginning to cook your souffle.)
Instructions : Let's Make Chocolate Souffle!
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate with 2 tablespoons of water over a double boiler.
- Beat the sugar into the butter until it becomes pale and very creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Continue beating until the mixture becomes a frothy cream.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, and flour, and then the the chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture trying not to knock-down the air you just whisked into them.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered souffle dish.
- In a larger pan, pour hot water and place the souffle pan inside the water bath. The water should come no more than half way up the side of the souffle pan. (Be very careful not to get any water into the chocolate souffle batter.)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 full hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional) and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Why is folding-in egg whites so important?
NOTE: The skill of folding ingredients together is one that will serve you in many areas of cooking, not just in baking delightful and easy Chocolate souffles!
To keep your souffle' batter (or any batter) light and fluffy, the method of combining egg whites with other ingredients by folding, becomes a very important component. Whisking egg whites to the "stiff peek" stage is the first step after separating the yolks and whites. Introducing the stiff whites to the batter is next, followed by the cut, fold, and turn method. For a really quick and thorough lesson on how best to accomplish this important souffle' step, take a couple of minutes to watch the video at right and enjoy the tutorial on the useful skill of folding-in egg whites.
The cut, fold, turn Method of "Folding-in egg whites" (3 min. YouTube video)
Easy Chocolate Recipes
Why do I have to Bake my souffle in a water bath?
A souffle is a delicate baked delight, and so it should be treated as such. Water is the perfect substance to surround such delicate treats. It has a "specific heat" that is quite high, so it can absorb a great deal of energy without changing its own temperature. For example, this recipe for chocolate souffle calls for a 375°F / 190°C oven baking temperature, a pretty typical temperature for souffle's. The filled pan is insulated; the water that surrounds the ramekin, never goes over the temperature of the hot water or 212°F. Due to the water that encases the souffle, it also bakes with a very even and moist heat. Which just happens to be the right environment for your perfect chocolate souffle!
Now you can enjoy a lovely chocolate souffle whenever you crave amazingly easy chocolate desserts! Time for you to start baking!