How to make Pie - The Very Best (and easiest) Sausage Pie Recipe
This is one of my husbands favourite meals, so I cook it quite often. It is very easy to make so great for beginners or to make with children. Its a hearty meal and very filling! Great for the winter when it is cold and tastes lovely served with a nice helping of mashed potato!
Its relatively cheap if your on a bit of a budget too! And aren't we all at the moment!
You can try different types of sausages to alter the flavour slightly, or add some extra veggies - Onions, mushrooms and peppers also work well.
I think this kind of dish would be great for the whole family and maybe a fun 'Fathers Day' meal for the children to help make. You could let them decorate the top with 'I/We heart Dad'.
Rate this recipe
- 6 Sausages
- 4 rashers Bacon, Fat trimmed off
- 2 large Leeks, Chopped
- 150ml Double Cream
- 2 Veg Stock Cube, made up to around 300ml
- 1 pack Jus Roll short crust Pastry
- A dash Worcestershire sauce
- A few sprigs Rosemary
- Small dash Milk
- Salt and Pepper, To taste
What to do?
- Pre heat your oven to the temperature required on pastry pack
- Brown the sausages and bacon. Then allow to cool before cutting into slices and small pieces. I find it easiest to do this on a George Forman Grill or something similar so they are a bit healthier.
- Place the sliced leeks into a casserole dish, round or rectangular which ever you have (although rectangular is easier to cover with pastry sheet) and add the sliced sausage and chopped bacon
- Mix together the stock, cream, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a good sprinkling of rosemary (plus salt and pepper to taste if you like, but I don’t use any in my cooking) Add to the sausage mix and stir well.
- Roll out the pastry and trim to fit casserole, then gently lay over the top and pinch into the edges to create a seal. I use the excess to cut shapes for the top, as you can see in the picture I used hearts this time - this is a great thing to get the kids to help with.
- Brush with some milk and place in the oven for the time required on pasty box. Mine is usually about 25mins
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your choice of veg!
My Other Sausage Recipies
- Poor Man's Cassoulet Recipe - Sausage and Mixed Bean...
poor mans sausage cassoulet - yummy, cheap and family friendly sausage casserole recipe. Can be made in the slow cooker or in the over. Simple and filling on a budget!
- Best Sausage Casserole Recipe for the Slow Cooker
The best, most filling sausage casserole/cassoulet recipe for the slow cooker. Yummy and fairly healthy, guaranteed to be a big hit with all the family.