- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Trinidad black cake and sorrel drink
Trinidad black cake (fruit cake with brandy)
- 1 lb prunes, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb currants
- 1 lb sultanas
- 1/4 lb mixed peel
- 1/2 lb cherries, chopped in half
- 1 1/2 cups cherry brandy
- 2 cups rum
- 2 cups or 1 lb butter
- 2 cups or 1 lb sugar, brown or granulated
- 10 eggs, large
- 2 tsp lime peel, grated
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb or 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup browning or more
- 1 cup mixture of rum,cherry brandy and sherry
- 1/4 cups almonds, chopped
- On the day before or a few days before baking cake combine prunes,raisins,currants,sultanas, mixed peel,cherries,almonds cherry brandy and rum.
- Line three 8' round pans with double layers of wax paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time,add lime peel and vanilla.
- Combine flour ,baking powder and cinnamon ,fold into creamed mixture gradually.
- Add fruit and enough browning to give desired color.
- Put in lined baking pans 3/4 full and bake in preheated oven at 250° F for first hour,reduce heat to 200° F - 225° F for remaining 1 1/2 hours or until tester comes out clean.
- Prick hot cake and soak with mixture of rum,cherry brandy and sherry.Cover and set aside.
- As alcohol soaks pour and continue to do so for 12 hours.(optional) N.B- fruits can be soaked months before. For non Alcoholic cake omit rum ,sherry and cherry brandy.
What you will need.
2 lb sorrel
8 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cups sugar more if preferred
1.- Wash sorrel and remove petals.
2.- Put water,cinnamon and cloves in a pot and bring to boil.
3.- Add sorrels petals,cover and boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
4.- Turn of heat and leave for a few hours or overnight.
5.- Strain and bottle;keep refrigerated.
6.- When ready to serve dilute with water to required strength and sweeten to taste.
N.B - rum can be added to flavor if preferred
|Serving size: 132g|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 48 g||16%|
|Sugar 28 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 87 mg||29%|
|Sodium 174 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|