Turmeric Health Benefits and Haldi Doodh Recipe
Health Benefits and Religious Significance of Turmeric
The Botanical name of Turmeric is Curcuma longa. Turmeric also known as the Indian Saffron is a member of the ginger family and widely used in Ayurveda because of its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiseptic properties. Turmeric is a perennial shrub that is grown in India and other tropical areas of Asia. This spice is also used as food color and to add flavor in Indian cuisine. Turmeric is a significant ingredient of most curry powders, beauty creams and antiseptics. In India turmeric is considered to be auspicious and also have a religious significance. Turmeric is used in hindu religious rituals. In some parts of India turmeric and milk mixture is offered while doing Snake worship. There is also a tradition of haldi ceremony where turmeric paste is applied to bride and groom before marriage in some places of India, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
The active chemical component of Turmeric is curcumin which is believed to reduce inflammation by reducing histamine levels and also stimulate the adrenal glands and is effective in treating joint pains and artheritis. Research has proved suggest that turmeric protects the liver from the bad effects of certain toxins, including alcohol. It is also said to protect against heart attacks and strokes. Turmeric is also an excellent digestive aid.Research on Curcumin as also showed some anti-cancer properties.It is also said to be good for Alzheimers's Disease.
Turmeric mixed in warm Milk is said to strengthen bones. Sachin Tendulkar is said to like this drink a lot. Turmeric milk can also be used for treating colds, Asthma and for reducing pain associated with arthritis if consumed 2-3 times a day.
Applications (Uses) of Turmeric
- The application of turmeric mixed with lemon juice on affected area regularly reduces Pigmentation.
- Application of turmeric curd mixture on pregnancy stretch marks before going to bath reduces the marks.
- Application of turmeric mixed with Honey on cuts and bruises helps to prevent infections.
- A paste of turmeric, gram flour and milk as mask on the face regularly helps to get a flawless and glowing skin.
- Taking one tsp of turmeric juice mixed with honey daily is good for Anemia.
- Take ½ tsp of turmeric powder or juice in water 3 times a day is proved good for Diarrhea.
- Taking ½–1 tsp of turmeric 3 times a day is effective for Diabetics.
- For Burns apply 1 tsp of turmeric with 1 tsp of aloe gel for immediate relief.
- When burned, turmeric acts as an insect repellent. Inhaling this smoke is good for coughs, asthma and congested nasal passages.
Apart from this turmeric is also said to be a good remedy for menstrual cramps and pain. It is also said to regulate the female reproductive system and purifies the uterus and breast milk. Because of its numerous benefits turmeric is available in the market in capsule form.. Turmeric is considered a safe herb. However, it is advisable that pregnant woman and those with health disorders take the advice of a Physician before taking it on a regular basis.
Turmeric - Ginger Pickle
Kacha Haldi Achaar
- 1-cup chopped raw turmeric roots
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Pickle Masala
Heat Oil in a Kadai and add hing and mustard seeds and allow crackling. Remove from stove and add this once cool to the turmeric pieces along with salt and pickle masala. Stir well. Cover and store the pickle in the refrigerator and use it after 3-4 days as and when required.
Ginger Turmeric Pickle
- 1 cup chopped raw turmeric roots
- 1 cup chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- Chopped green Chillies
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp asafetida
- 1/4 Cup Mustard Powder
Heat Oil in a Kadai and fry fenugreek seeds and asafetida until golden. Once cool add mustard powder, turmeric and ginger to it and mix well. Add lemon juice, cut chillies and salt to it and mix well. Pour 2 tablespoons of hot Oil over the pickle and store it in a sterilized glass jar. The Pickle is ready to use after a week.
Turmeric Health Drinks
Heat ¼ Cup of water and 1/8 tsp of turmeric in a Pan and bring to boil stirring continuously. Place 200 ml milk and 2tsp of almond oil in a separate pan and bring to boil in low flame. Once ready mix them together along with Honey to taste. Drink while warm. This is said to be very good for woman.
Simple Haldi Doodh
Add ½ tsp of pure turmeric powder to 250 ml of hot milk. Add Sugar or Honey and stir well. This is an excellent remedy for Cold and can be taken 3 times a day to get relief from cold. It is also good for those suffering from Asthma.
Haldi Doodh Variations
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 pinch cinnamon powder, 2-3 crushed peppercorns in 250 ml of milk and boil in low heat. Once ready strain the drink and consume while still warm.
- Add ¼ tsp Turmeric powder, 2 tsp powder Pistachios and 1 tsp of sugar in 250 ml of milk and boil in low flame in a thick bottomed pan. Once ready consume the milk while still warm.
- Add ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder and 4 dried figs to 250 ml of milk and boil in a thick bottomed plan in low flame. Once ready add honey for taste and drink while still warm.
- In a thick bottomed pan add ½ tsp ajwain or carom seeds. Stir continuously till brown, add ¼ turmeric power and stir for a second or so. Add this mixture to hot milk along with required sugar and drink while still warm.