- Food and Cooking»
- Farms & Farming
Best Pick-Your-Own Farm Markets In Western Pennsylvania
A Place That Will Never Disappoint You and Your Family
Pennsylvania will always be one of my favorite states. It has been so since my first automobile ride across its scenery to Washington DC on the way to the Smithsonian Institution museums in my childhood. I can remember this as if it were only this morning.
Returning many times by car and by bus, I saw additional sights each trip. For a time, I had friends in Eastern Pennsylvania that owned a stretch of land that included its own gasoline pump. Farms across the state and the associated Farmer's Markets, restaurants, and Amish roadside vegetable stands can offer visitors a vacation journey all by themselves.
Presque Isle in Erie, NW PA
Erie, Pennsylvania is the gateway to Northwestern PA and includes the tranquil Presque Isle State Park. The park sits on Lake Erie and has been revitalized throughout the last couple of decades. The tree-lined causeway is so densely vegetated with trees and plants that one cannot tell that one is driving across a waterway. Historical installations and a long beach area are available for enjoyment. From time to time, the Aurora Boreas can be seen from this area.
At the entrance to the park is the Tom Ridge Environmental Center, a research and education center that helps visitors enjoy the animal and plant life of the peninsula. Admission is free to several interactive exhibits and a 75-foot observation tower.
During the War of 1812-1814 on Lake Erie, six of the eleven ships commanded by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry were constructed at Cascade Creek in Erie. Little Bay at Presque Isle was the temporary dock for this fleet. During Autumn 1812 - Winter 1813, so many soldiers died here that the place was renamed Misery Bay. A monument to Commodore Perry is located within the park since 1926 and boat tours show visitors more of the historic scenery.
An operating replica of Perry's second flagship, the Niagara is docked at the PA Maritime Museum across the bay from Presque Isle and travels for commemorative events. The years 2012 - 2014 will be particularly busy, in remembrance of the war.
Attractions Near Erie PA
- Friends of Tom Ridge Environmental Center
- PA DCNR - Presque Isle State Park - Don't forget to see the lighthouses.
- Pennsylvania Elk Herds - Located in Penn's Woods areas of Northwestern/ Central Pennsylvania forests, these elk are breathtaking to see. Scenic Elk Corridors in this region can be found along State Route 555 from Weedville to Driftwood along Sinnemahoning Creek. State Route 144 runs through Sproul State Forest and the Audubon Important Bird Area.Don't miss the scenic Dennison Run Overlook and Burns Run Overlooks near Renovo PA. Several other routes exist for viewing elk, but try Sinnemahoning State Park for elk herds that can be seen from the park's great viewing platform, and see other varieties of native wildlife viewing, including eagles; or do some overnight camping. All this is found along State Route 872, about 15 miles north of the intersection with Route 555 at Sinnemahoning.
Sinnemahoning In the Elk State Forest
Popular Farm Markets in Northwestern PA
Near Erie, Pennsylvania
More farms and roadside stands are clustered in Erie County than nearly anywhere else in Pennsylvania. A few of them are listed below:
Berries and Blooms
- 5255 Wheelertown Road, Waterford, PA 16441. Phone: 814-438-8113
- Usually open 8-8 Monday through Saturday from early July through the first frost.
- Several types of berries, U-Pick and pre-picked. Peppers, sweet onions, tomatoes, other.
Church Run Orchard
- 44868 Warner Rd, Titusville, PA 16354. Off Church Run Road. Phone: 814-827-7172
- Apples and other produce, petting zoo, other features.
Conn's Blueberry Farm
- 9069 Route 89, North East, PA 16428. Phone: 814/725-6800
- Open 7 days a week from early July to the end of the growing season.
Holliday's Farm Market
- On Crooked Creek, one-quarter mile from Lake Erie.Farm built in 1796.
- 455 Holliday Road, North Springfield, PA 16430. Phone: (814) 922-3517.
- beans, sweet corn, squashes, pumpkins, field corn and soybeans.
- Largest selection of fruits, vegetables, farm-made food items, nuts, eggs, and more in Western PA.
- 8200 Bort Road, North East, PA 16428. Phone: 814-725-1257
Additional nearby farms specialize in grapes and a number of types of blueberries that ripen throughout the growing season. Other farms sell meat, eggs, and honey to the public.
Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Triple B Farms
- 823 Berry Lane, Monongahela, PA 15063. Phone: 724-258-3557
- A variety of berries, plus apples, peaches, pumpkins, autumn activities, market and deli; fresh honey and eggs. May through October.
- 2573 Brandt School Road, Wexford, PA 15237. Phone: 724-935-1743
- Open all year! U-Pick and pre-picked produce. Farmer's market, bakery, deli, garden center, farm animals, monthly festivals, corn roasts in late summer. Harvest time: traditional hayrides, pony rides, late night moonwalk, and more.
Farm Markets in Southwestern PA
Bedner's Farm and Greenhouse
- 315 Coleman Road, Mcdonald, PA 15057. Phone: 724-926-2541
- Any of these, depending on month: apples, asparagus, broccoli, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, pumpkins and yellow squash, sweet corn and tomatoes. Also handles culinary herbs and spices.
- Concessions available
Half Crown Hill Orchards
- 600 North Branch Road, McDonald, PA 15057. Phone: 412-913-4981
- Pre-picked fruits and vegetables, honey, farm-made jams and jellies, fresh-pressed apple cider, many other items.
- 170 Simmons Road, McMurray, PA 15317. Phone: (724) 941-1490
- Apples, peaches, pumpkins, other fruits and vegetables; call ahead first.
Aditional Pennsylvania Farms and Travel Attractions
- Mushrooms Near Pittsburgh - Unusual Places On Moonlight Drive --Have you ever visited a mushroom mine underground? Pennsylvania has the only underground mushroom mine in the world.
- Top 10 Most Unusual Places to Visit in Pennsylvania --A traveler could spend an entire year in Pennsylvania and not see the end of it. The Keystone State is full of history, culture, diversity, arts, music, festivals, landscapes, mountains, visitor attractions and hidden treasures. Here are some of the
- Top 10 Best Cities and Travel Hot Spots to See in PA -- Hot Travel Spots in Pennsylvania that are interesting, fun, and some that you have never considered.
- Pennsylvania 6-5000: The HubTrail Visits A State Full Of Wonders --Pennsylvania is not only the Keystone State, but a key that will unlock answers for your travel and vacation wanderlust. It is an awesome state full of multicultural wonders and American Know How. From Native American Nations to breathtaking...