- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Health Benefits
Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Benefits
Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Benefits. There are various kinds of whole grains and we need the nutrients we can get from such healthy foods for our daily activities. Whole grains are preferred rather than the refined ones as it is rich in healthy nutrients good for your heart in general. Whole grain in essence have three main parts, bran, endosperm and germ. They are readily available in different supermarkets anywhere. refined whole grain products are : whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat flour, rolle doats, flour -- teff or triticale and popcorn.
All varieties of whole grains are good sources of:
- complex carbohydrates,
- various vitamins and minerals,
- low fat
Whole grain image
What are whole grains?
Whole grains are kinds of cereal grains which consists of bran, germ and an endosperm. Other kinds of grain is the refined grain in which it contains only the endosperm (look at the image at the right). Processed grains are those that will not sprout and those that can be sprouted are whole grains.
Overall health benefits of whole grains :
- good source of fiber, selenium, magnesium and potassium - essential minerals
- According to some studies conducted in the past whole grains reduce risk factors for diabetes (type II)
- Eating whole grains help reduced in the risk factors for heart diseases
- Eating whole grains is good for total cardio health and other factors overall like problems in weight and hypertension
- Whole grains are very rich in carbohydrates which gives us energy for our daily physical needs
Varieties of Whole Grains and its Health Benefits
Wheat grains are used to make flour, leavening , bread, cookies and biscuits, cakes, cereals, pasta and noodles. It can be sued to make beer as well, biofuel or other drinks-- alcohols. Essentially they are the main ingredients in porridge, bread, biscuits, pastries, pies, doughnuts and all the bread products and cereals for breakfast. Some examples are barley, buckwheat, and bulgur wheat
Health Benefits of wheat grain
- It is rich in carbohydrates which is essential t0 daily needs for energy, it generally helps to boost your energy.
Oats with husks
The common oat (Avena sativa) is a variety of cereal grain and is used for food -- oatmeal but it is also used for livestocks. Oats can be oatmeal or flour. They are also used for oatmeal cooking cakes and some oat breads. They are used in cereals (granola and muesli), and also porridge. In the recent past they also consumed it raw -- and raw oats which are made into cookies are popular.
health benefits of Oats
- Like most whole grains it is definitely good for your heart and a rich source of carbohydrates which is essential for normal functioning and to have the necessary strength to continue daily tasks
Rye is grown as a grain and a crop at the same time, and it is related to both barley and wheat. Rye grain is used for flour, rye bread and beers as well as whiskies and sodas. It can be eaten whole or after being rolled. it ha slower gluten content than wheat flour and have more soluble fiber
Health benefits -
Rich in carbohydrates and is good fiber -- better for your stomach and solubility
2 row and 6 row barley
Barley is a cereal grain used as base malt for beer, distilled beverages and as a components for various healthy foods and is used for soups and stews. Barley bread is a rich source of fiber. There are different types of barley, hulled or dehulled -- hulled is healthier as it still contains the outer shell (which contains the bran and germ.) Dehulled barley can be processed into flour, grits and oatmeal.
Health Benefits of Barley
- It contains essential amino acids.and regulates heart and regulate blood glucose compared to whole grain wheat. Barley can be used as coffee substitute.
Corn or maize
Maize or Corn
Maize or Corn--- is the most widely grown crop in the US. It has a sweet corn and the normal variety. It cab produced into flour corn, popcorn, dent corn, flint, sweet, waxy, amylomaized and striped corn.
Health benefits of corn or maize
- Like any other carbohydrates, corn is rich in body building energy nutrients and corn is a source of vitamin B1, B5, C, E, folic acid, magnesium and phosphorus. It is also good for renal or your kidney.
Brown rice --- , a kind of whole partly milled rice considered natural grain. "It has a mild nutty flavor, is chewier and more nutritious than the white rice".
Brown rice versus white rice-- they have similar amounts of essential nutrients like carbohydrates, protein and calories the difference lie in processing. In brown rice, the husk is removed in white rice -- the next underlying layer is removed as well leaving the endosperm. Vitamin and minerals are removed by this process. But here in The US, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) required white rice to be enriched so that its nutrients will be the same with the brown rice.
Health benefits of brown rice
- Brown rice is less constipating, contains more magnesium and oil which is good to lower cholesterol level. Brown rice is also rich in low fats acids and a good fiber. Brown rice is more preferred than white rice.
Cooking Ingredients HUBS
- Where to Buy Rice in The United States
Where to Buy Rice in The United States. As a migrant in the United States (US), when I first arrived here, I wonder where I could buy rice. Rice has been my staple food and I grew up eating it like most South...
- Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health
Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health. I remember my mother used to tell me to eat rice so that I have the energy to go to school, learn and then I can still play outside. She is correct, the United States...