Vietnamese Spring Rolls - A Healthy and Gluten Free Recipe
Vietnamese spring rolls are quick and easy to make. The ingredients consist of mainly vegetables and prawns - a healthy and delicious choice for health conscious beings. The spring rolls are wrapped with rice paper and are suitable for those who are on a gluten free diet.
Spring rolls will be ready in less than 30 minutes
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 10 spring rolls
List of condiments for making the special dipping sauce
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
Mix all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Ingredients for spring roll
- 1 packet rice paper (16 cm round)
- 100 grams rice vermicelli
- 10 large prawns
- 2 carrots
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 large tomatoes
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- A pinch of salt
- Put the rice vermicelli in a pot and pour boiling water over it.
- Place the pot on the stove and boil for another minute.
- Remove the pot from the stove and discard the water.
- Pour cold water over the rice vermicelli and soak for 15 seconds.
- Discard the water and set aside the rice vermicelli for later use.
- Wash and shell the prawns. De-vein the prawns before cutting them into smaller chunks.
- Heat up a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Fry the minced garlic until fragrant. Add in the prawn chunks, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook the prawns for about two minutes and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Peel and grate the carrots. Cut the tomatoes into thin slices. Cut the lettuce and mint leaves into strips.
Preparing the ingredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Wrapping the spring rolls
Soak a sheet of rice paper in warm water for about half a minute or until it starts to soften. It should feel soft like a piece of cloth. Spread out the rice paper on a moist cheesecloth. Put a small amount of lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, prawns, mint and rice vermicelli near the bottom end of the rice paper. Fold the bottom end of the paper over the ingredients to cover them. Fold in the left and right sides so that none of the ingredients are peeking out. Carefully roll the wrapped ingredients firmly towards the other end to make a spring roll. Continue making the spring rolls until all the ingredients are used up.
Serve the spring rolls with dipping sauce.
How to wrap the spring rollsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Please rate this recipe
More recipes by the author
- White Radish (Carrot) Cake Recipes - Hong Kong Style...
Easy recipes for making steamed white radish cake and fried radish cake.
- Easy Healthy Watercress Soup Recipe
A recipe for watercress soup, it is full of healthy nutrients.
- DIY Pearl Milk Tea - Make Your Own Bubble Tea At Hom...
Craving for bubble tea? Here's how to make your own bubble tea drinks at home.
- Crispy Pork Rind Cracklings - Pork Chicharrón
Deep fried pork rind snacks.
- Roasted Pork Belly with Crispy Crackling Skin
Recipe for the perfect roasted pork belly with crispy cracklings.
- How To Make Pickled Chillies From Fresh Chillies
When hot chillies are in season, it is good to buy them really fresh from the farmers markets. The pickled chillies store really well and they are ready to be used with ...
- How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe
Curry puffs are popular snacks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are not only delicious to eat but easy to make, too. Check out these curry puff recipes here.
- Quick and Best Ways to Cook Prawns
Pan fried garlic prawns, fry prawns recipes, oven grilled prawns, curry prawns and spicy sour prawn soup recipes.
- Quick Easy Healthy Recipes with Soba
The quick and easy way to prepare delicious soba noodles with five ingredients or less.
- Soft & Moist Carrot Cake Recipe - It's Gluten Free
Carrot cake recipe for gluten free and dairy free diet requirements. This cake is so moist and delicious that nobody will even notice it is gluten free.
- Great Tips On How To Avoid Overeating
A few great tips on how to avoid overeating.
© 2013 lady rain