Easy Healthy Watercress Soup Recipe
Watercress is a vegetable that is consumed mainly for health benefits. This aquatic plant contains a significant amount of vitamins, especially Vitamin C, and minerals like phosphorus, calcium, iron, folic acid and iodine. It is also used as a diuretic, expectorant, stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic and tonic.
This useful herb is available in some fresh produce markets or farmers' markets. It is usually sold in bunches. Watercress is very perishable and do not keep well after it is harvested. As a result, not many vegetable growers like to cultivate this vegetable, which explains why the supply of the watercress vegetable in the markets is usually low. Due to its popular demand, this vegetable is sometimes hard to find in the markets even when it is in season.
Watercress soup is claimed to be beneficial to the health because of its nutritional contents. The Chinese use watercress in herbal tonic soups for health benefits. It is believed the watercress tonic soup can improve one's health if it is consumed on a regular basis.
This watercress soup recipe is definitely healthy because it contains plenty of vegetables. On a cold winter's day, sitting down with a big bowl of soup in front of you is the most comforting and delicious way to warm up the heart.
- 2 bunches watercress, (they are usually sold in bunches in the markets, probably about 200 grams per bunch)
- 3 litres water
- 500 grams beef, (can be substituted with chicken or pork)
- 1 carrot
- 1 capsicum
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- half teaspoon ground coriander
- salt to taste, adjust to your own preference
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: Serves two people.
- Wash the watercress thoroughly to remove the soil and dirt particles.
- Cut beef into chunks.
- Peel and slice the carrot into chunks.
- Cut the capsicum in half. Remove and discard the stalk and seeds. Slice the capsicum into smaller chunks and set aside.
- Heat up oil in a pot and fry garlic until slightly brown in colour. Add in beef chunks and fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in water, carrot chunks and cover pot. Cook on high heat until the water is boiling. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Add in watercress, capsicum, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes. The watercress should be soft by then.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Roasted Pork Belly with Crispy Crackling Skin
Recipe for the perfect roasted pork belly with crispy cracklings.
- Crispy Pork Rind Cracklings - Pork Chicharrón
Deep fried pork rind snacks.
- How To Use A Thermal Cooker - Everyday Recipes for M...
Food only takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.
- How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe - Delicious Deep Frie...
Curry puffs are popular snacks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are not only delicious to eat but easy to make, too. Check out these curry puff recipes here.
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup - My Favourite Winter Warmer
A winter warmer - homemade creamy pumpkin soup recipe.
- Quick and Easy Tamarillo Omelette
A simple and quick way to make tamarillo omelette.
- Quick Healthy Recipes with Soba
The quick and easy way to prepare delicious soba noodles with five ingredients or less.
- White Radish Cake Recipes - Hong Kong Style Dim Sum
Easy recipes for white radish cake.
© 2012 lady rain