Ways to Eat Tamarillos - Healthy Breakfast Tamarillo Omelette Recipe
What Are Tamarillos?
The tamarillo (also called the tree tomato) is a very tasty fruit that is native to Central and South America. This egg-shaped exotic fruit is a great source of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. The tamarillo plant is sub-tropical and grows in warm areas. There are three varieties of tamarillos, red, amber and gold. All the three varieties are awesome in taste but if you must choose one, the best variety is the amber, which is smaller in size but the sweetest of all.
Different Ways of Eating the Tamarillo
There are many great ways to eat tamarillos. Here are some suggestions on how you can eat them. Remember: these fruits are full of vitamins and minerals; they are healthy and good for you!
- Make a colourful salad with green lettuce leaves, cucumbers and red tamarillos.
- Try lady rain's tamarillo salad with salted egg recipe.
- Serve peeled tamarillos in breakfast cereals.
- Cook the fruits into tamarillo jams and chutneys.
- Put chopped pieces of tamarillos on a slice of bread and top with grated cheese in a grill.
- Peel some tamarillos and use them for toppings on pizzas, cakes and desserts.
- Puree the tamarillos and use as a marinade with other herbs, salt and pepper.
- Chop up some tamarillos and spread them on a sandwich. Add in cottage cheese and tuna.
- Spread tamarillo on a slice of toasted bread together with vegemite and avocado.
- Blend some peeled tamarillos in a blender and spread over a grilled fish or chicken schnitzel.
- Mix together some chopped tamarillo, avocado, chilli, onion, salt and pepper to make a hot salsa.
- Use the tamarillo in casseroles or other meat dishes. They are just like tomatoes but a lot more tasty than tomatoes.
- Peel and cut them into wedges and serve on a platter with cheese and crackers.
- Scoop out some tamarillos into a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar or honey and eat.
Tamarillo and Avocado Omelette Recipe
Omelettes are nutritious and they are quick and easy to prepare. Plain omelettes are nice but they do taste a bit bland and boring after a while. Tomato and cheese omelettes are popular because everybody knows how to make them. If you are an omelette fan, check out this easy but delicious tamarillo and avocado omelette recipe for breakfast.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 6 tamarillos
- 1 avocado
- half an onion
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of mixed herbs
- Wash the tamarillos and cut four of them in halves.
- Scoop out the tamarillo flesh with a spoon and set aside.
- Discard the skin which is bitter and inedible.
- Peel and chop the onion finely and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a wide non-stick frying pan.
- Fry the onion for a few minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the tamarillos and fry together with the onions.
- Lower the heat and leave them to cook for a few minutes.
- While the tamarillos and onions are cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl and add in milk, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffly.
- Check and see if the tamarillos are already soft and mushy. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Cover the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes until the omelette is just cooked and the eggs are not runny.
- Remove the omelette from the stove and transfer it to a plate. The omelette will look like a pizza base.
- Cut the remaining two tamarillos, scoop out the flesh and chop into smaller pieces.
- Sprinkle the chopped tamarillos over the omelette.
- Cut the avocado into half and scoop out the insides.
- Slice the avocado and decorate around the tamarillo omelette.
- Serve with bread and tea or coffee. Breakfast is ready!
Please leave a rating for this recipe
More free recipes here
- Tamarillo (Tomato Tree) with Recipe for Making Tama...
Exotic fruit tamarillo recipes.
- Ways to Eat Tamarillos - Healthy Breakfast Tamarillo...
How to eat tamarillos with a simple and quick recipe for tamarillo omelette.
- Tamarillo Salad with Salted Eggs Recipe
Tamarillos are very tasty fruits and they can be used to add flavours to all kinds of dishes. This is a salad dish you can make with tamarillos. The combination ...
- Soft & Moist Carrot Cake Recipe - It's Gluten Free
Carrot cake recipe for gluten free and dairy free diet requirements. This cake is so moist and delicious that nobody will even notice it is gluten free.
- How To Make Sweet Bread Buns
Enjoy your afternoon tea with these sweet soft and fluffy bread buns. Reward yourself with these freshly baked buns that are so easy to make and bake.
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup - My Favourite Winter Warmer
A winter warmer - homemade creamy pumpkin soup recipe.
- Quick and Easy Beef Stew Recipe in a Pressure Cooker
Cooking beef stew is so easy with a pressure cooker.