- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Winter Potato Soup for the Soul
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 50 min
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 lb russet potatoes washed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Havarti cheese
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 tsp Kosher salt or sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, (Optional)
- Cook bacon in a soup pot until crispy and transfer to a paper towel to remove grease. Keep 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings aside.
- Add onion, celery to the bacon drippings and cook 4 to 5 min. until soft.
- Add potatoes and saute for 2 min.
- Add garlic and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add chicken stock and mild to the pot and simmer. (Do Not boil)
- Simmer for 15 min. until potatoes are soft
- Use a hand mixer or blender to cream the potatoes
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste
- When ready to serve ladle the soup into a bowl and add the Havarti cheese a little at a time to blend into the hot soup
- Sprinkle the top of the soup in the bowls with bacon bits and chives