Winter Tomato Basil Soup Recipe (Canned Tomatoes); Really Delicious!
Here’s a great soup for the last days of winter – when you can feel the approach of spring and are feeling ready for some fresher fare, but sadly the markets aren’t yet cooperating.
Actually, this easy tomato basil soup made from canned tomatoes is good at any time of the year and is worth making during any months other than July, August and September, when harvest tomatoes rightfully steal the show.
Canned Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 26 ounce can of tomatoes (use good quality canned tomatoes here)
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- ¼ cup of loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 Tbls of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Bring the tomatoes, the tomato juice and the chicken stock to a boil together and then let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, add in the basil leaves and puree until smooth
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and over low heat, add in the cream and the butter.
- Let the butter melt into the soup and then add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
Easy and delicious, and the basic idea can be taken in a lot of direction, as desired.
A Mexican variation, for example
Toss a fresh jalapeno or two into the boiling tomatoes and tomato juice. Once finished simmering, omit the basil and blend as above. Add in the butter but only half as much cream (1/2 cup) and then take about a half cup of sour cream and squeeze some lime juice into it. Swirl this sour cream lime mixture into soup bowls before serving and top with a little freshly chopped cilantro – a Mexican variation!
Out of tomato season, you can’t do better than good quality canned tomatoes. Don’t be fooled by those winter long distance imports from warmer climes – they may look like tomatoes but they sure don’t bear much taste resemblance!
Another Soup Recipe for Out of Season Tomatoes
More Great Soups
- Sweet potato maple mustard soup recipe. A delicious ...
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but as September approaches, and with it the first crisp evenings and the bounty of the marketI cant help but start thinking about the fantastic...
- Chunky Leek and Potato Soup Recipe. A Delicious but ...
An easy but delicious potato and leek soup recipe with detailed instructions.
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup. A Few Good Ingredients and...
Although I spent a lot longer cooking up the turkey and all the sides for this year's Christmas dinner, it was this simple soup that I served as a starter that won the most praise. And it is very good. A...