- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Witch Finger Cookies
How Does This Recipe Rate in Your Home?
A Yummy Halloween Treat
I love Halloween. It's the one time of the year that you can be anything or anyone you want to be. Where the only limits you have are your imagination and how much scrap materials you can find for your costume. There's the great games, parties, and bragging rights for best costume ... oh yes, and the yummy treats! One of my favourite Halloween treats is Witch Finger Cookies. A simple butter cookie recipe given a ghoulish twist, this is sure to be a hit with your little goblins!
Before You Start
Pre-heat oven to 352 °F (160 °C)
You will need:
- Lightly greased baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Prep: 10 min to prep and 30 chill PLUS approx. 10 min to shape each batch of fingers
- Bake: 20-25 min per batch
- Finishing Touches: 3 min cool and approx. 5 min to finish fingernails
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- As needed blanched almonds, whole or slices as you prefer
- As needed red jam, ie. raspberry or strawberry
Some people like to use green food colouring in this recipe to make the fingers look more "witchy".
- Mix butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla together.
- Beat in the flour, baking powder; salt and food colouring (if using).
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Work with a quarter of the dough at a time and keep the rest refrigerated.
- Take a heaping teaspoon of dough and roll it into finger shape. Squeeze in the middle and slash with a butterknife several times to form a “knuckle”.
- Firmly press an almond into one end as a “fingernail”.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 3 minutes. Then, lift the almond and place jam into nail bed. Press the almond back into place ... The jam should squish out around the edges - bwahaha!
- Remove from the baking sheet and let cool while you repeat from #4 for the rest of the dough.
© 2012 I Am Rosa