- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Zucchini (Courgette) and Tomato Soup Recipe ~ Easy to Cook and Healthy to Eat
Great Solution for Extra Zucchini
If you're looking for a great summer zucchini or courgette recipe, here is an easy recipe for zucchini and tomato soup with broken spaghetti. It's a great way to use up your excess zucchini and is a wonderfully light, fresh summer soup. It's so delicious no one will believe that it is so quick and easy to make.
Copyright © 2015 Melis Ann
- 1.5 pounds zucchini, chopped
- 26 oz peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 0.5 pound thin spaghetti, broken in 1 inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- Pecorino Romano, or other grated cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water
How to Cook Zucchini and Tomato Soup
- Saute garlic on medium-low heat in olive oil in a large pot.
- Chop zucchini into small cubes.
- Add chopped zucchini to pot and saute for about 10 minutes until soft. Add salt and pepper.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pot with juices. In the summer, I peel and chop my own Roma tomatoes from the garden, otherwise I purchase Pomi chopped tomatoes.
- Add the water to make the broth and cook until the zucchini is cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Break spaghetti into 1 inch pieces and add to soup.
- Serve when spaghetti is al dente.
- Top individual bowls with grated cheese if desired.
- Play with the ratio of ingredients to suit what you like best. If you are cutting back on carbohydrates, reduce the ratio of pasta to the vegetables. If you have extra tomatoes, throw them in. It really doesn't have to be exact.
- If you are not sure how much spaghetti you want to add to the soup, the spaghetti can be cooked separately and then added to get the right ratio.
- If you use a brand of canned or jarred chopped tomatoes that is already salted, beware not to add too much salt. However, be sure to add enough salt when using all fresh ingredients. Tasting as you go is your best bet. Also keep in mind that if you plan to serve with grated cheese, that is an additional salt source.
Disclaimer: Note that this website portrays my opinion. I want to help others consider a new or different view. Any action taken based on these opinions is the responsibility of the reader.
Copyright © 2015 Melis Ann
Original content written by Melis Ann published only on HubPages at the following web address: http://melisann.hubpages.com/hub/Zucchini-and-Tomato-Soup-with-Spaghetti-Recipe-What-to-do-with-Lots-of-Zucchini
Other Articles Related to Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Italian Fried Zucchini Recipe
Italian Fried Zucchini is a great use for the big zucchini or courgette you pick from the garden. No need to remove the seeds. Just slice, dip and fry. Served with some tomato sauce on the side or as a side dish to pasta.
- How to Can Food BPA-Free: Toxins in Mason Jar Canning Lids
Many mason jar canning lids contain BPA which acts like estrogen in the body, disrupting normal hormone regulation. BPA-free claims may not be enough. Find out how to find true BPA-free canning jars.
- How to Save Money with an Organic Garden
How starting an organic, raised bed garden can pay for all your supplies and expenses in one season with the food that's grown.