- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Mindy Jos Irish Stew
Mindyjgirl is Makin' Irish Stew
Mindy Jo’s Irish Stew
2 cups pound of lamb meat
1lb. of beef chuck roast
2 teaspoons of canola oil
4 cubes of beef bullion
4 cups of water
5 red potatoes peeled and cut into quarters.
½ cup of finely chopped onion
3 garlic cloves
2 stalks of celery finely chopped
4 carrots chopped/ or ½ bag of baby carrots cut in half
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
3 tablespoons of flour
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of Guinness Beer
- In a frying pan fry over med heat fry the onion, garlic and celery and with a little Mrs. Dash after the onion, garlic and celery have cooked a bout 4 minutes then add and Sauté all the lamb and chuck roast meat roast and brown. Let rest.
- Next: Take out a large pot and put in your water potatoes and carrots and add the stuff you just cooked in the frying pan in the pot. Bring to a boil temperature should be med high not on high. Next add 4 cubes of beef bullion and Guinness beer. (This will take a while too cook to tender 20-30 minutes.)
- After everything looks cooked and the potatoes and carrots are cooked (check with a fork) turn down the heat to simmer then add the canned tomatoes and stir.
- Add the batter stirring while adding, so it doesn’t clump up. Add it fairly fast not a slow stream. Batter mix: (This is my thickener for stew) in a large coffee mug or measuring cup. add some water and then the flour and Worcestershire and brown sugar use a fork and mix it in to a thin batter consistency. (Like pancakes). Ad more water if needed.
- Stir into the pot with mixture and keep slowly stirring till it thickens up a bit. Simmer for 10 minutes.
This serves a whole family of 5 people, plus leftovers.
(P.S. If you want it really rich add a ½ cube of butter it helps thicken it more too)
My family loves my Irish stew
Mindy Jo's Links to more about the Irish!
- The Luck of the Irish
The Irish are linked to luck, and the four leaf clover is a sign of luck. In many ways we are somewhat superstitious about luck. My grandfather gave me a tin that held a four leaf clover in, and it did make...
- Irish pubs in America
Join with me on this journey across America pub hopping, Irish style. Each day I will be adding more pubs, be sure to check in and see where we are going next! During the Great Hunger "Irish Potato Famine"...
- Erin Go Braugh
Spend a mid-week night at Kilronan Castle or Lough Rynn Castle, room with bath, tax and service. Other specials with Adare Manor or Ashford Castle . "Erin Go Braugh" means "Ireland Forever" whether you...