Asparagus Spiral Wraps in 5 Easy Steps
Quick & Easy ~ Vegetarian Hors d'oeuvres
N eed something quick and easy that will make your guest's mouth water?
Asparagus Spiral Wraps are easy, appealing to the eyes and great tasting.
You can make this side dish or vegetarian hors d'oeuvres in less than one hour. Easy cooking recipes give you more time for entertaining and spending time with your family and friends.
Try this Asparagus Spiral Wraps in 5 Easy Steps recipe for any celebration, and make a lasting impression that will have your company coming back for more.
Look for more vegetarian recipes on this page.
Photo by google images/puffpastry.com
Copyrighted Material by Favored1. Do not copy.
Photo credit byFavored1 or Amazon unless otherwise noted. This artwork is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License. When used: Animation by www.glitter-graphics.com, www.picgifts.com, www.photobucket.com and www.animateit.net
The Asparagus Festival Cookbook
Stockton, California held its first Asparagus Festival in 1986 attracting thousands of people waiting to taste the best gourmet asparagus recipes from all over the world. This cookbook highlights the top awarded recipes from the cook-off.
Prize winning recipes from gournet chefs.
Poll: Are you an asparagus fan?
Photo credit by google images
Do you like asparagus?
Chef's Prefer All-Clad Stainless Cookers & Steamers
Stainless-steel interior and exterior with brushed finish
Encapsulated aluminum base for superior conductivity
Includes stainless-steel pasta basket, steamer basket, and lid
Riveted stainless-steel handles stay cool on stovetop
Dishwasher-safe and oven-safe to 500 degrees F
2-quart multicooker for preparing asparagus without overcooking
Crafted from high-quality stainless steel; polished interior and satin exterior
Slender stainless-steel steamer basket holds vegetable upright
Measures 5.75 inches by 8.75
A bit of flavor ... Try adding Morning Star veggie sausage or bacon for a spicy flavor. Tastes great!
Recipe by Favored1: www.squidoo.com/favored-1
I want to let you know that these wraps may not look as nice as the ones you wrap in Puff Pastry, but they taste even better, are less expensive and healthier. You can use them as they are vegan if you wish. The recipe I use is my own and contains no meat (just "vegan" meat for flavor).
Take a look at the photos below of the actual process
I used for these appetizers.If you wish to use the Puff Pastry (photo here) recipe that calls for meat, here is the link:
Preheat Oven 375 degrees
2 nonstick baking sheets
wax paper if needed
Prep Time: Approx. 45 minutes
Total Time: Approx. 1 hour
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus spears (about 24 washed with flat ends trimmed)
- 2 cans Pillsbury Original Breadsticks 12 count (keep chilled until ready to make wraps)
- 4 Individually Wrapped Frigo String Cheese Sticks cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 4 Morning Star Bacon Strips cooked and crumbled into bits
- Butter or herb butter spread
- Asparagus Preparation: You can skip pre-cooking if you like a more crisp asparagus. They actually are better this way, and stay firmer.
- Cook fresh asparagus in water covering the asparagus in the microwave for 8 minutes on high. Remove from water and towel dry on a plate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This step can be done ahead of time in a steamer if you prefer. The asparagus shoud be partly cooked, but not over cooked so they cannot be wrapped.
- Veggie Bacon Preparation: Place 4 strips of veggie bacon on a microwave safe plate and cook for 2 minutes. Let cool and then break the pieces. They crumble pretty easily.
- Cheese Preparation: I used Frigo individual string cheese sticks. Cut them in half vertically (long) making 2 long strips of cheese. Then cut in pieces. You can use any kind of flavored string cheese if you like. I used Pepper Jack. The cheese melts right into the breadstick so don't be concerned about it oozing out (unless your put big chunks in). The flavored cheeses make a better tasting appetizer.
- Step 1: Open breadsticks can and separate the pieces. Stretch out one breadstick laying it flat so that it is over twice the size of the breadstick.
- Step 2: Lay the asparagus on the breadstick leaving the tip off the breadstick. Make sure breadstick remains flat. Tightly wrap one breadstick strip around the asparagus making a spiral around the vegetable. You should have the length of the asparagus still remaining. Lay it on the baking sheet making sure to flatten out the remaining part of the breadstick.
- Step 3: On the half without the asparagus, press pieces of string cheese and bacon bits along the breadstick leaving a space between pieces. Do this for each breadstick and lay straight on nonstick baking sheet.
- Step 4: Carefully pull the part of the breadstick with the cheese and bacon on it over top of the spiral wrapped part. Squeeze or pinch the seams together to seal the wrap. Place the wrapped asaparagus seam side down on baking sheet. (Look at the photos of how I did this.)
- Step 5: Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until breadstick is golden brown. After baked, place on tray spiral side up. Be sure to have tongs ready. Serve warm with butter or herb spread.
- Note: If not wrapped tightly the aspargus slips out on the first bite, that's why the uncooked asparagus recipe works better. These are best served and eaten the day you make them. You can also cut theses into bite size pieces after cooked (use a very sharp knife) and put festive toothpicks in them. This works really well for seniors and kids, and serves more people who may only want to sample the appetizer.
How to wrap your asparagus.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Good Baking Sheets Are Important - WearEver Commercial Nonstick Scratch Resistant Baking Sheet
This baking sheet has gotten the best reviews time after time. It lasts, won't rust, stands up to the heat without bending, cleans up easily and is dishwasher safe. Throw out those old rusty baking sheets (we know you have them, we all do) and give this WearEver commerical nonstick baking sheet a try.
Heavy gauge carbon steel baking sheet
Construction for even heating and durability.
Scratch resistant nonstick interior and exterior.
Asparagus Plate to Serve Your Creation - Now that you have a fancy vegetable, make sure it is presented on a beautiful plate.
Size : 9 1/2" Length x 6" W
Asparagus Food & Fun Recipes
- National Asparagus Festival
Annual event for the entire family.
- Garlic Roasted Asparagus
- Butter Glazed Asparagus
- Roasted Asparagus & Other Vegetables
- Asparagus & Emglish Muffin Bake
- Pastry Twists
Video by Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry
- Pyllo Wrapped Asaparagus
Paula Dean Food Network
- Appetizer Roll Ups (Not just vegan)
Taste of Home Cooking
- Asparagus Wraps
- Asparagus Appetizers
- Feature Vegetable: Asparagus
Campbell's kitchen for health and wellnes
- Avon Beauty & Home Products
Today's specials. See it here.
Visit my latest blog post at: Daily Favor blog