- Food and Cooking
Blueberry Vegan Recipes
I love Blueberries!
I have always loved blueberries. When I went vegetarian in the mid-70s, I used blueberries for a lot of desserts.
I have a few recipes here that I hope you like. I first wrote these recipes for the newsletter of our local health food co-op, then I took the recipes and put them together in a cookbook (which is called Vegans Like Good Food, Too and is available at my store on Cafe Press).
I hope you like these recipes.
- Grape Nuts Cereal
- Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate
- 2 10 1/2 ounce packages vacuum packed Lite Tofu
- 2 -3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Organic Lemon
- Lime and/or Orange rind
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot/Kudzu/Cornstarch dissolved in 2/3 Cup of Water
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup/Rice Syrup/Agave Nectar
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag Frozen Blueberries
- 1 -2 Tablespoons Arrowroot/Kudzu/Cornstarch
- Apple Juice/Maple Syrup/Rice Syrup/Agave Nectar to taste (optional)
- For the Crust: Take the two ingredients and pulse them in a food processor. Smooth the crust mixture on the bottom of a pie plate and bake until firm and brown.
- For Filling: Take the filling ingredients and process them in a food processor until the mixture is smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until firm.
- For Topping (make while cake is baking): Take the blueberries and sweetener (if desired) and put them in a pot with a good cover and cook on a small flame until the blueberries give up their liquid. Then, take as much of the liquid as you can and add the starch, stirring until dissolved. Then add this mixture back into the blueberries and simmer, stirring constantly, until the topping thickens.
- When the "cheese" cake is baked, let it cool a bit before spreading the blueberry topping on top.
Blueberry Linzer Torts
- 12 ounces Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
- partially defrosted
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- Blueberry jam or one recipe of the topping for the Blueberry "Cheese" Cake
- Mix the first two ingredients together until it forms a dough. Roll out the dough (adding flour if needed). For each tort, use two equal sized round cookies, but one cookie should have a smaller round hole in the middle (I used two different sized drinking glasses for the circles). Take the full circle and put a small amount of jam or blueberry topping in the center, top with the circle with the hole in the middle. This makes one cookie.
- Repeat this until you have used all the dough. Lay the torts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or desired "doneness".
Blueberry Orange Muffins
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 Cup Unprocessed Oat Bran
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Orange Rind
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy "Milk"
- 1 "flax egg" (2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds processed with 3/8 Cup of Water) or other egg substitute
- 1/4 Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar or other sweetener
- 1 Bag Frozen Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- Mix together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. Mix them together until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes. If they aren't done after that, check back every 5 minutes until they are done.