- Food and Cooking
Four Best Butternut Squash Recipes
Butternuts are Sweet and Versatile Vegetables
Pumpkins and squash are simply the most versatile and delicious vegetables around. Brighten up your dinner table with some butternut side dishes or make a complete meal with these golden recipes.
There are lots of ways too cook Butternut
Already fairly sweet, butternuts get even sweeter when cooked and commonly have their sweetness enhanced with things like cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.
Butternuts are also scrumptious when prepared as a savoury dish, with feta or a sharp cheese, garlic and sage.
I make butternut soup, bake them, or prepare scrumptious steamed butternut with red chilli sauce
Steamed Butternut with Red Chili Sauce
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash
- cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped coriander - cilantro
|Serving size: 1 medium serve|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Sodium 4 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes
- Bring 2 inches of water in a steamer to a boil.
- Cube butternut and steam in a steamer about 5-6 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon broth in a medium-size pan. . Saute onion in broth for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add garlic and spices and mix well. After about 1 minute, add rest of broth and begin to simmer gently.
- When butternut is al dente, add it to simmering sauce and cook together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro.
Butternut Quick Tips
Rub butternut with oil and garlic before roasting
Roast butternut with sage leaves in a lightly oiled dish
Rub butternut with garlic and parmesan cheese before baking
Baked Stuffed Butternut
More ways to enjoy Butternuts
Butternuts are the perfect size and shape for stuffing; scoop out the seeds and fill with any stuffing of your choice.
Pop the filled butternut in a steam bag and microwave for 3-4 mins on high or place in a colandar of boiling water and steam till soft.
- 200 g feta cheese -1/2 lb - crumbled into small lumps
- thick slice of butter
- 1 medium garlic clove finely chopped
- a little olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a good handful of torn basil leaves
Arrange the 2 halves of a peeled and seeded butternut in a shallow microwave safe dish, cut-side up.
Cover, and cook on full power for about 8 minutes or until tender.
30 Recipes for Pumpkin, Butternut & Squash
30 super recipes from classic Pumpkin Pie to exotic and exciting dishes. All the recipes have glossy, mouth watering photos, you'll want to immediately start cooking them all.
Maple Glazed Butternut
Butternut Marscapone Gnocchi
Butternut Squash and Thyme Risotto
It tastes good whatever you call it
Squashes are true natives of the New World and found everywhere throughout both North and South America.
In Australia the butternut squash is called the butternut pumpkin, but it tastes just as good whatever you call it.
How do you like your butternuts?
What's the best?
When Buying a Butternut
Look for a nice vibrant colour
Rap it to check for a hard shell
Feel up your butternut for a dense, heavy feeling when you lift it
© 2008 Susanna Duffy