- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Receipes / Chicken Madeira
Being a single mother of twin daughters I am always looking for an easy Sunday dinner recipe.Sunday is the day that we all sit down and enjoy a good home cooked meal. Instead of slaving over the stove for some of that good home cooking- let me suggest this delicious recipe for Chicken Madeira. The gravy has such a delicious wine and bacon flavor. This recipe is so easy- all you do it let it cook on the stove for a couple hours and you have home cooked chicken and gravy. This is the kind of food that warms your soul, and sticks to your ribs. Your kids will ask for more- and believe me when I say you wont have many left overs.
Best chicken receipe
2 Tsp butter
1 Small onion
9 oz Baby Carrots
1/2 lb bacon uncooked and cut into pieces
9 oz Portebello mushrooms
1 whole chicken
1 3/4 cup white wine.
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
2 Bay leaves
2/3 cup white wine
2 T cornstarch
This is so easy.
1) Heat the butter in a big stock pot. Add the onions, carrots, Bacon, mushrooms and cook till tender. Transfer the cooked mixture to a bowl, and put the stockpot back on the burner.
2) Add the 1 3/4 cup white wine to the stockpot and cook on medium heat till it is reduced a little. Sprinkle the 3 T flour in the wine and stir well. This makes a roux.
3) Add your whole chicken to the stockpot with the wine. Add your onion carrot mixture back in, 1 3/4 cup chicken stock, and 2 bay leaves.
4) Cover and cook on medium low for 2 hours, or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear.
5) Remove the whole chicken with tongs and place on a cutting board.
6) Add the 2/3 cup of white wine to the carrots mushroom bacon ingredients on the stove. Stir well. Remove the 2 bay leaves..
7) At this point we are going to make a gravy mixture from the pot we cooked our chicken in,. You can leave the carrots in the pot to mix with the gravy, or you can set them aside and serve as a side item. I personally just leave the carrots in the pot, but it is up to you.
8) To make the gravy: Heat the chicken mixture with the mushrooms bacon etc to boiling. In a small cup add 2 T cornstarch to 2 T water and stir well. Add this cornstarch mixture to your boiling mixture to thicken and make a gravy. Remove from heat when the gravy has thickened.
9) Cut your chicken into pieces. I normally cut the legs off, breast etc, but it is up to you. You wont need to do much cutting at this point because the chicken will want to just fall off the bone because it is so tender.
18) Place your chicken on your serving plate. Top the chicken with the gravy mixture you made, and serve with mashed potatoes.
This is the best Sunday dinner chicken receipe you will ever have. From our home to yours- enjoy