- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best-Ever Corn Chowder Recipe
Love Corn Chowder? Looking For A Great Recipe?
If you love corn chowder and you are looking for a great corn chowder recipe, you have come to the right place. We have been eating and loving this corn soup ever since I purchased my Time-Life American Country books in the 1980s. We have altered the recipe a little bit to suit our tastes and we think you are going to love it, too. It always wins rave reviews for us.
On this page you will find the recipe for the The Best-Ever Corn Chowder and some information about the cookbook from which it came.
Can't you smell the chowder cooking already?
The Best-Ever Corn Chowder Recipe - Makes 6 servings.
4 to 6 slices of bacon
1 1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c flour
2 c chicken broth
1 c water
3 c peeled, diced yams or regular potatoes
1/2 tsp thyme
2 10-oz cans creamed corn
1 c diced red pepper
1 c diced zucchini
1 c milk
2 tbsps parsley
- In a 3 or 4 quart pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon but leave the fat in the pan. Drain the bacon on paper towel and chop.
- Sauté the onion in the pot in the bacon fat over medium heat just until softened. Increase the heat to medium high and add the flour. Cook stirring for one minute.
- To the pot, add chicken broth, water, potatoes and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or until the yams or potatoes are cooked.
- Add the creamed corn, red pepper, zucchini, milk and bacon. (Some people prefer to add the bacon afterwards.) Then simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated.
- Add the parsley and serve!
Join Me For A Bowl of Soup, Won't You?Click thumbnail to view full-size
Country Cooking: Recipes for Traditional Country Fare
This Time-Life American Country cookbook is one of my favorite cookbooks
The best-ever corn chowder is a recipe from this cookbook, Country Cooking: Recipes for Traditional Country Fare that I adapted slightly, exchanging corn kernels for creamed corn, which results in a creamier chowder. If you want a lighter corn soup, you could of course, revert to using corn kernels.
This cookbook is from the beautiful Time Life American Country book series and it is one of my favorite cookbooks. It is, of course, packed with great recipes. Not recipes that are light-hearted or fast and easy but rather recipes that are satisfying down-home comfort foods that fill your house with the smell of home cooking.
The recipes in this cookbook are ones we use for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas or for company, rather than for everyday, although they could be used for regular meals. Our favorite recipes include the instructions for cooking a turkey, for turkey stuffing, for the best-ever chicken pot pie and, of course, this corn chowder recipe.
I was surprised that this cookbook is still available, new or used, through the sellers on Amazon. It is perfect for anyone who wants to build their own collection of best-ever recipes, recipes that will be family favorites.
A Delicious Bright Yellow Corn-on-the-Cob Apron - Just add butter!
More Interesting Corn Chowder Recipes
- Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Cheddar Corn Chowder recipe from Ina Garten.
- Corn Chowder With Bacon Recipe
This corn chowder is flavored with a generous amount of bacon and cream-style corn. It's a delicious, creamy corn chowder with bacon.
- Better Homes and Gardens Corn Chowder Recipe
Potatoes and bacon make this chowder soup recipe hearty enough to be considered a main dish. Especially delicious when prepared with fresh ears of corn.
- Corn Chowder Recipe - Chowhound
Corn chowder is the perfect recipe for warm-weather cookouts: a healthy, sweet, and savory soup that showcases the best produce summer has to offer.
- Corn and Shrimp Chowder Recipe : The Reluctant Gourmet
A splendid corn and shrimp chowder from scratch that has a really rich, full flavored flavor and doesn't take long to prepare at home.
- Food Network Recipes & Easy Cooking Techniques
Find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques.
- Smoky Corn Chowder Recipe | Real Simple
Smoky Corn Chowder
- Emeril's Blue Crab and Corn Chowder Recipe - ABC News
Good Morning America, co-hosted by Diane Sawyer, Robin Roberts, Chris Cuomo and Sam Champion, features recipes by gourmet chefs in the GMA test kitchen every morning. This recipe for Emeril's Blue Crab and Corn Chowder is brought to your kitchen from
- Grilled Chicken and Corn Chowder Recipe Details | Recipe database | washingtonpost.com
A touch of cream plays off against this soup's subtly smoky flavor. Even though they'll will end up swimming in liquid, try to get really good grill marks on the chicken, corn, peppers and onion; it will make the final presentation more attractive.
- Corn Chowder Recipe From Food and Wine
Our simple soup really highlights the taste of sweet summer corn, but since the vegetable is available virtually all the time, you can make the chowder year-round. You can even use frozen corn, though fresh is best.
- Martha Stewart's Corn Chowder Recipe
Martha Stewart's corn chowder looks delicious.
- Martha Stewart's Summer Corn Chowder Recipe
Small new potatoes can be substituted for the fingerling potatoes in this recipe.
- Paula Dean's Soup's On Corn Chowder Recipe from Paula's Home Cooking
Paula's fixin' to make the Lady and Sons Beef vegetable soup! Then she'll be making a rich Corn Chowder and a creamy Squash soup. And to go with the soups, Paula's making her easy yeast rolls.
- Rachael Ray's Bacon Corn Chowder With Crab From The Rachael Ray Show
This solid chowder recipe has an optional call out for some crab, if you want to use it. If not, serve it on its own or with some shredded chicken.
"Did you know that chowder is best cured for one hour to three days after it's made to allow flavors to meld?"
- 50 Chowders
50 Chowders: One Pot Meals - Clam, Corn, & Beyond
BY JASPER WHITE
This cookbook contains a range of chowder recipes, instructions and tips as well as the history and folklore of chowder.
"I've just purchased my 6th copy of this book, one of my most favorite cookbooks ever. My own original copy is years old, stained, and dog-eared. I've given four as Christmas presents and I just gave one as a wedding gift along with a Le Creuset French oven." - Toller Girl
"I frankly love one-dish meals of any type, particularly soups and stews. White provided me with great alternatives to my basic autumn fare--beef and lamb stews, lentil and vegetable soups. If you think "chowder" only applies to clams and corn, this book will open your eyes."- D. Russell
"...concise, easy to follow instructions with delicious tasting chowders...not only tells you what to do in his recipes but he also tells you why you are doing it...something you normally only find in an instructional video. It gives you the understanding of where you are heading instead of blindly following instructions...every member of my family loves the recipes, even my 5-year old! They're the best I've ever tasted. Bravo Jasper! Your love produced a masterpiece! - Diane Houslanger
What type of chowder is the best?
More of the best ever recipes
- My Best-Ever Recipes Collection
Collected over the last twenty years, my best-ever recipes are from various sources and include recipes for special occasions and for everyday meals. You'll find some extraordinary baking ideas, like carrot cake and banana bread, and some holiday...
- The Best-Ever Chocolate Fondue Recipe
Looking for an easy and delicious chocolate fondue recipe? You've found one right here!
- The Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe is by Martha...
We love biscuits and in particular, this buttermilk biscuit recipe. My son and his girlfriend had no problem recreating this yummy recipe!
- The Best-Ever EASY Pumpkin Pie Recipe
It may be a cheater recipe but it is delicious so try this one when you want a pumpkin pie but you don't feel like making the crust.
- The Best-Ever Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
We've been eating these buttermilk pancakes for a couple of decades. No other pancake recipe has compared!
- The Best-Ever Glazed Baked Ham Recipe
If you're looking for an easy to put together meal, consider a baked ham.
- The Best-Ever Easy BBQ Turkey Recipe
Recently, we had Christmas dinner in July and, of course, that dinner had to include a turkey. A roast turkey in our part of the world is best suited to being cooked on a BBQ where it will NOT heat up your home and that is how we cooked our turkey. .
- The Best-Ever Banana Bread Recipe
Looking for the best banana bread recipe? You've found it!
- The Best-Ever Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Just the thought of the best-ever homemade chicken pot pie makes me drool...
© 2010 Treasures By Brenda