Try This Delicious Caramel Cheese Flan (Puerto Rico Style)
I still remember the very exact day I learn how to make this flan. I was in my grandma's house. I can even smell the beautiful vanilla in the air. She showed me step by step, with all the patience she always had. Those where wonderful days. I loved to spend time in her house just talking about silly things, sharing my crazy and endless teenage stories. I liked so much to make her laugh. Her laugh is so beautiful and contagious. But time passed. I moved to another country and sometimes I miss so much those days. Thankfully I learn this recipe from her and every time I make it is like be straight to my grandma's kitchen. Only good memories comes to my mind.
This is why today I want share the recipe with you. So people can create their own memories around a good piece of this delicious cheese flan. Is simple to make and everyone is going to love it.
I know how much we miss this dishes when we are living out our beautiful island of Puerto Rico. So, if you are one of them, dying for a decadent piece of cheese flan, this recipe is for you.
2 cups of sugar
2 cans of evaporated milk
1 can of condensed milk
2 cream cheese
1 tbsp of vanilla
- Preheat oven at 350 degees, put in a big pan 1/4 full of water as a double boiler.
- Melt the sugar in a small pot until forming a golden caramel.
- Pour the caramel in the mold until it covers the bottom completely.
- In a big bowl, mix the evaporated milk, the condensed milk, the eggs and the vanilla.
- Put half of the mixture recently made with a cream cheese in the blender and beat at medium speed until forming a uniform mixture without clots. Repeat the process with the second half of the mixture and the cream cheese remaining, then incorporate both mixtures.
- Pour the whole mixture in the mold.
- Bake in double boiler at 350 degrees during approximate 50 minutes. To check if the flan is well cooked, insert a fine knife in the center of the mold, the knife should come out clean.
- Leave it out to cool, then refrigerate for two hours.
- Turn upside down. Serve cold and enjoy!