Easy No-Bake Sugar-Free Cheesecake
Since I started to experiment with cupcakes and other sweet goodies last year, I have to admit that I've put on a few unwanted pounds. And how time flies when you're having fun because I didn't realize just how long I've been forgetting to keep my weight in check. It's not that I've gained a ginormous amount of weight - perhaps somewhere around 3-5 pounds - but that's a warning sign for me to get my weight back down to a healthy level.
So I've been back to eating foods that are lower in carbs since yesterday but lo and behold, my sweet tooth comes back with a vengeance, and I'm only on my second day! Still I kind of expected it as I'm no newbie to this way of eating and cravings must be controlled. So instead of gorging myself on sugary treats made with white flour and sugar, I whipped up this old standby.
My no-bake gluten-free no-sugar cheesecake is one of those things that help me stay on track. It's incredibly easy to make as there is minimal cooking involved ( does a minute in the microwave count? ) One taste of this cheesecake and you'll be wanting to eat the whole pie! Just make sure to share and you'll be fine. In fact, if you're on a low- carbohydrate eating plan, this makes a great light breakfast.
Some tips for best results
- Make sure to soften your cream cheese at room temperature before using
- Don't over whip the cream. You want it to be light and fluffy.
- If you want to eliminate extra carbs, you can forego the fruits altogether.
- You can use your favorite sweetener. I use Splenda as it's the only one available here.
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely ground
- 3 packets sweetener
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup cream
- 10 packets sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup berries
- 2 packets sweetener
- Melt the butter in a microwave.
- Add ground almonds and 2 packets sweetener to the butter.
- Pour almond mixture into a pie pan and press for an even surface. No need to get the mixture on the sides.
- Put in refrigerator for one hour.
- Beat the softened cream cheese for 1 minute until smooth.
- Whip the cream in a separate bowl until just before stiff peaks form.
- Add 10 packets of Splenda into the whipped cream.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese.
- Add lemon juice and zest and gently mix to combine.
- Take the pie pan out of the refrigerator and add the cream cheese mixture onto the top of the almond base.
- Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Microwave the berries for 1 minute.
- Add 2 packets of Splenda to the fruits and mix to combine.
- Spread the fruit mixture on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Although not strictly a low-carb cookbook, I find that the recipes in this book are so much more appealing. The great thing about this gluten-free cookbook is that anyone, dieting or not, will enjoy the creations that come out of this book. So whether you're living a gluten-free life, low-carbing or just trying to find a healthier alternative to the usual white flour/sugar goodies, I recommend checking this book out.