- Food and Cooking
Awesome Gluten and Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
It's been awhile since I've made a batch of low carb cookies. Now don't get me wrong. I love cookies, especially with choclate chips in them and it is extremely rare that I'll turn one down. It's just that I was never successful in making the low-carb versions that satisfied my cookie cravings.
I recently revisited an old chocolate chip recipe using almond flour but decided to replace some of it with coconut to try and replicate the chewy texture of real chocolate chip cookies. I found that the coconut adds some stability and structure to the cookies which is close to impossible using just almond flour. Of course these low-carb cookies would never compare with the real ones, but if you're watching your carb intake or on a gluten-free diet, these cookies make a delicious alternative.
Some things to remember
- These cookies are more fragile than normal cookies so handle with care.
- They will not become crispy.
- Freezing them will make them more firm if you like it that way.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 15
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cups finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3.5 oz sugar-free chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the almond flour, coconut, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter with sweetener. Beat in the vanilla and egg until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture until dough is mixed well.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate
- Make 1-inch balls with the dough and place on baking sheet.
- Press each ball to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until just brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is my favorite cookbook for cooking with almond flour. Includes a variety of recipes such as pancakes, eggplant parmagiana and chocolate cake.
Other Low-Carb Recipes You Might Like
If you love food and travel, be sure to visit my blog RIGHT HERE. Thanks!