Fennel & Mushroom Au Gratin (Vegan, Gluten Free)
A low fat version of an Italian Classic
This traditional Italian Christmas dish will satisfy your savory palate and still leave you enough room for sweet cravings without breaking the calorie bank. The main makeover with this meal are the ingredients used to make the bechamel sauce. I used a high protein chick pea flour and nutritional yeast to thicken it instead of white flour and cheeses. There is still some fat from the truffle oil and the overall impact is still low on calories and high on flavor! This dish is the gift that keeps on giving all year long.....
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Coat baking dish with no calorie non-stick spray
- 1 large bulb fennel
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon black or white truffle oil
- 3 tablespoons maple flavored agave syrup
- 5 tablespoons chick pea flour
- 2 tablespoons crushed pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Simmer almond milk on low heat while whisking ingredients: truffle oil, chick pea flour, pecans, maple flavored agave syrup, salt, pepper, nutmeg, parsley, garlic, nutritional yeast
- chop fennel and arrange with sliced mushrooms to form a layer in the baking dish
- Pour bechemel sauce over layer and repeat
- Sprinkle more nutritional yeast on top
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
This Is How It's Done! XO
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
What's your preference?