jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How to make black icing

1. Fawntia profile image
    Fawntiaposted 8 years ago

How to make black icing

If I need black frosting for Halloween, what's the best way to do it? I'm afraid that mixing together different liquid food coloring is going to thin the icing too much or turn it an ugly (not black) color.

2. carriegoff profile image72
    carriegoffposted 8 years ago

Well, I'm no expert, but I have tried to make black icing before and couldn't do it. It was always a muddy brown and that much food coloring tastes bad.

My advice to you is to buy black icing. The other thing you can try is see if someone sells black food coloring. You can also buy super concentrated food coloring that is more intense than the liquid you get in the grocery store.

But as for me, I make EVERYTHING from scratch, and I buy black icing.

3. Specialk3749 profile image60
    Specialk3749posted 8 years ago

My daughter made a cake with black frosting.  She said to substitue Black Dutch cocoa powder for the cocoa in a chocolate frosting  recipe.  You can find the cocoa powder at the King Arthur Flour website.  She wasn't sure about the exact website, so you will have to search it.

4. pageantgirl31413 profile image82
    pageantgirl31413posted 8 years ago

Wilton sells black frosting concentrate that you add to your frosting. A little goes a long way. I usually use wiltons food colorings.  People say you can start with chocolate frosting and add the four colors from the food coloring. However, I always make mine from scratch so I use the concentrate. Here's the site for you http://www.wilton.com/store/site/produc … D538D55E2B . That goes directly to the icing colors.

5. andyizeluk profile image54
    andyizelukposted 8 years ago

Simply just add cocoa powder to the royal white icing if, however it will have a chocolate-y cocoa powder taste. Therefore, if you do want the natural royal icing taste so many places sell black food coloring during halloween. smile good luck. keep me posted on how it comes out.

6. chisom4best profile image49
    chisom4bestposted 6 years ago

I think that if you want to make black icing put black food colouring or even black ink or anything that will make the water black, when the water becomes put in the freezer to freeze, when frozen you will get your black ice

7. mysteriousmaven profile image59
    mysteriousmavenposted 6 years ago

Yes, you can directly get black food coloring.

Other than that, you can try using cocoa powder, but it might not be as black as you want it to be in that case..

working