jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is popcorn a vegetable?

1. Mrs. Moneypants profile image60
    Mrs. Moneypantsposted 8 years ago

Is popcorn a vegetable?

I'm being serious.

2. kenya! profile image56
    kenya!posted 8 years ago

its a grain

i think, it might be a vegetable though since it comes from corn

3. mr. daydream profile image60
    mr. daydreamposted 8 years ago

Good Question... I never thought about it, but it is true that a popcorn seed (AKA a kernel of corn) starts it's lifespan on an ear of corn. But after being plucked from the ear, dried, and heated til' it takes on it's new form, I'm sure it would lose it's once nutritious value (especially after being seasoned, salted and buttered). Once a butterfly emerges from it's cocoon, it's no longer a caterpillar.

4. nadine_stowne profile image53
    nadine_stowneposted 8 years ago

I vote veggie... and so is coffee and chocolate. They all come from plants, right?  :-)

5. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Popcorn is a grain.  The kernals are the seeds from corn, aka maize, which is a type of grass.

Technically, it's not a vegetable.

6. Mrs. Moneypants profile image60
    Mrs. Moneypantsposted 8 years ago

After a wee bit of research yesterday, I believe relache is right.  My partner is out of town an I have been eating a lot of popcorn...lazy food. I noticed that I gained a bit of weight.  I fear is moderately high carbs and high GI so I need to scale back the popcorn habit.

7. goldie77 profile image41
    goldie77posted 7 years ago

I guess so -in the same way that pickled onions are. Does that mean that pickled onion flavour crisps are giving us one of our 5 a day that we need?
    I also agree with Nadine that cofee and chocolate are vegetables -that's why I'm so healthy then cos I eat and drink vegetables all day long

8. lilmizknoitall profile image53
    lilmizknoitallposted 7 years ago

Corn is a grain, and in it's whole form is indigestible due to the kernel somewhat like a shell.  Popcorn is made from causing the kernel to combust, which doesn't make it really much except for excessive carbohydrates.  many people make the misconception of corn being a vegetable, or tomatoes as well, due to the fact that they are generally canned and stocked in the general veggie aisles.  rather, corn is a grain and tomatoes are fruit.