jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

In the 60's 30 was old, how old is old today?

1. wordsscriber profile image62
    wordsscriberposted 7 years ago

In the 60's 30 was old, how old is old today?

2. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 7 years ago

As old as one feel. LOL! In my opinion, no one can tell anyone how old they are especially if they do not feel it...

My mother n law is in her 70s and I have a hard time keeping up with her when we party...

3. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 7 years ago

Well, I know among young black males..30 is old school. The irony of this is--is it has been this way (among black males) since the 80s. And those who were 17 and 18 (now in their 30s) were calling 30-year-olds "old school" but (now in their 30s) they don't consider 30-35 old. Luckily for me, I'm 33 but look like I'm 23.

4. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

30 wasn't old in the 60's.  It was just that we were hearing a lot from college students, who didn't know any better and who thought 30 was old.  Regardless of the year it is, it takes a human being about 25 years to have finished completely maturing, including the brain and skeleton.  The trouble in the 60's was that kids who were 18 and 20 thought they could define "old" when Nature says otherwise. 

I remember being in first grade and thinking the fourth-grade kids were old.  Then in seventh grade I thought ninth-grade kids were all grown up.  As a teen, I babysat for a young mother who was 23, and I thought she was "on the old side".

A lot of people just think anyone more than a couple of years older than they are are old.  Then they get to that age and think the people just ahead of them are where the cut-off point for "old" is.

With more and more people living to be 100, I figure "elderly" is probably somewhere  in the last 20/25 years of a possible 100-year life-span.  (The first 25 years is a matter of reaching full maturity.  The next 50 is living as a mature adult.  The remaining 25 might be considered, "elderly").  Just my thoughts on "old".

Closed to reply

working