jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference between Northern and Southern Italian recipes?

1. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

What is the difference between Northern and Southern Italian recipes?

2. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 6 years ago

one possibility,... the presance of sea food,... many other differences but thats one

3. The Gift of Pen profile image61
    The Gift of Penposted 6 years ago

Northern italian recipes are more connected with that of the french, using more butter and cream. Southern recipes are bolder, more tomato, more garlic, more olive oil. It's all about butter and olive really. big_smile

4. davenmidtown profile image90
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Regional difference between what is available locally.  That is one of the best features of Italian food, especially if you are traveling through Italy.  The same dish changes as you pass from one region into the next.

5. profile image0
    potsposted 6 years ago

In general, southern uses more vegetables, and romano cheese! Northern is heavier and creamier, and parmesan. 

Sicily, which is very south is also a little different, their recipes are very "olive" based. 

I grew up with a great grandmother, Nonna, and a grandmother, Nana, and another grandmother, Nonni.  All three came here from Naples - purely coincidence.  My Nonna and Nana were further south in Naples and my Nonni in the northern part.  Just that little difference in areas made their cooking styles completely different.  Nonni's food was a bit heavier, Nana and Nonna were spicier.

It's a great question and there are many answers.  No matter where you go in Italy, the food is fabulous but like anything else, it's a personal preference, which you like more.

working