jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How long do you keep eggs before declaring them no longer fresh?

1. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

How long do you keep eggs before declaring them no longer fresh?

I get a dozen every week, then boil whatever remains, replacing them with more. What's your way?

2. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

To check if eggs are ok do the egg test in this hub
    http://freecampingaussie.hubpages.com/h … -back-yard !

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

If I wonder, then I check their freshness -- if they float completely and don't smell bad, my dog just got herself a treat. If they don't float, I still use them. Most often, 18 eggs lasts in our house for about two weeks. They're rarely off fresh at all by then, and far from bad.

4. profile image0
    vperryposted 6 years ago

If kept in the refrigerator, they should remain fresh through the date listed on the carton.  Once the expiration date is here, I throw them out.  I don't take chances on things like that.

5. LaniK profile image59
    LaniKposted 6 years ago

I do the sink or float method;  If it floats it's bad, if it stays at the bottom it's good.  If it sinks but stands up a bit, better use it today.

6. homesteadpatch profile image80
    homesteadpatchposted 6 years ago

Eggs keep a surprisingly long time.  Unwashed fresh eggs can keep for six months if properly stored.  Keep in mind however that eggs from the supermarket have been washed and can be several weeks old by the time you get place them in your refrigerator.  The yolk in older eggs lays flat, while the yolk in a fresh egg will sit up round and firm.  The water test works to approximate age as well.  It works because the air space in the egg grows as the egg ages through air entering the shell.  If an egg is truly bad you will know, your nose will tell you, and so will everyone else in the house after you crack it.  We don't have a method of preserving eggs, we just try to use them up before they get old.  Some ideas for using them up can be found here;
    http://homesteadpatch.hubpages.com/hub/ … Your-Flock

working