jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can I keep spinach fresh longer?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

How can I keep spinach fresh longer?

I like to eat fresh spinach in a lot of things, but I can't seem to eat it all before it starts to wilt and get slimy. I already buy the smaller of the two packages, but is there anything else I can do to keep it fresh longer?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

We purchased "green bags" and they work really well.  Make sure your spinach is absolutely dry before putting it in the bag and keep the bag sealed tight in the crisper drawer of your fridge. They double the life of most things we put in them. I had that problem with Kale and the bags helped there too.

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Fully dry it and place paper towels around it then place in a ziplock bag or Tupperware.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image55
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

There are some helpful answers here.
    In addition, if you cut the stems and then keep in a container with lid or a tupperware box with lid, it stays fresh for a long time. One thing is sure, it should not have moisture, if you want to store it.
    Wrapping it in a newspaper, after cutting the stems will also ensure that it stays fresh for a longer time.

5. Silva Hayes profile image91
    Silva Hayesposted 4 years ago

We buy the spinach in the clear bin that has supposedly been washed and is ready to eat.  (Not!)  This is what I do -- it sounds like too much effort but I am happy with the freshness and longevity of the spinach.  First, I go through it leaf by leaf and break off the stems, and if the leaf is extra large, I completely pull the stem off.  As you go through it, you will encounter a foreign leaf here and there and usually some dark slimy pieces that you will discard.  I thoroughly wash and dry the plastic container it came in.  Then I fill an extra large bowl with cool water and I wash the spinach gently, lifting and turning.  I put it in a colander and let it drain.  Then I carefully blot it dry with paper towels.  I fold one paper towel and place on the bottom of the container, load the container with the spinach, place another folded paper towel on the top, and refrigerate.  (I reuse the damp paper towels by wiping the stove top or counters before I discard them.)  I also make an extra effort to remember to use the spinach before the "best by" date.

6. Diana Lee profile image82
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

Greens keep quite well in zip lock bags. Even if they come with one I always wash the greens and put them in a clean zip lock bag to avoid pesticides residue.