jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are there any disadvantages of Vegetarian Food?

1. Utkarsh raj profile image73
    Utkarsh rajposted 6 years ago

Are there any disadvantages of  Vegetarian Food?

If yes what are they......

2. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 6 years ago

I think vegetarians sometimes have deficits in specific vitamins (B12 for instance), though with a properly planned diet or with supplementation this shouldn't be a problem. People on any kind of diet can have deficits if they don't eat the right foods, so I wouldn't let something like that put you off.

3. tebo profile image86
    teboposted 6 years ago

You have to make sure you eat complete proteins which are normally found in meat and dairy products. To make legumes into complete proteins you need to add whole grains such as brown rice or nuts or seeds. The B12 can be a problem as mentioned earlier. There are advantages of vegetarian diet of course as it usually means eating healthier and less cholesterol unless you consume large quantities of cheese.

4. Island Hopper profile image58
    Island Hopperposted 6 years ago

The need for supplements and the difficulty in getting a low to moderate amount of carbs. Eating a vegetarian diet, it's more difficult to avoid food allergens sometimes, because so much of it has gluten and soy, and veg foods seem to be high in carbs much of the time, which is bad if you're predisposed to diabetes or sugar flucuations. It takes talent to avoid these issues ... this is coming from a pseudovegetarian.

5. MazioCreate profile image72
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

Not according to my doctor who is vegan, and has been her entire life.  Due to my LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol levles rising unexpectedly she started me on my way to a vegetarian, bordering on vegan diet. Protein does pose a problem, however, Quinoa (plant native to Andes - fruit & seeds used) is a complete protein and when eaten with a balanced vegetable dish you've got it all.

6. kerlynb profile image90
    kerlynbposted 6 years ago

Some people say that we may not get enough of protein when we eat vegetarian.  This may be true.  But then again there is a good source of  soy protein in tofu, which is an excellent alternative to meat.