Best white northern beans tips?

1. LoriSoard profile image75
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

Best white northern beans tips?

I usually just add some ham pieces, but my beans are rather blah. Any other tips? I love to try out new recipes and am looking for some ideas. Once I have it perfected and delicious, I will post a hub about it.

Thanks!

2. moonlake profile image91
    moonlakeposted 6 years ago

We love northern beans. I also put ham in mine or if I don't have ham I put bacon. I add water and a can of chicken broth, onions, parsley flakes, and if I have shedded carrots I add those, salt and pepper. I cook all day.

I know this sounds funny but northern beans use to have eyes and now they don't you could see the eyes floating around in the soup like when you cook black-eyed peas and see the eyes. We just had this discussion about that with my aunt and uncle who are in their 80's. They were also wondering what happened to the eyes in northern beans.

3. LoriSoard profile image75
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

I will try adding the chicken broth and see what it does to the taste. I don't remember eyes, but I'm just over 40 and hated beans as a kid. That is very interesting. They must have created hybrid beans without them or something. Strange.

working