jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are you afraid of BPA in foods packaged in plastic and cans?

1. rmcrayne profile image98
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

Are you afraid of BPA in foods packaged in plastic and cans?

In addition to plastic bottles, studies have now found BPA in canned foods such as soup.  Do you avoid packaged foods?

2. Kris Heeter profile image80
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

Yes.  There is significant and credible research out there now that indicates that it does easily get into foods (I've wrote a hub related to this). 

Late last year, a published study found that BPA levels elevated significantly in participants that ate canned soup once a day for five days.  The BPA came from the lining of the can. 

For those not familiar with the negativity surrounding BPA - it is has been linked to a number of health issues, including some cancers.

The good news is that many companies are making efforts to no longer use linings containing BPA.

3. rlaha profile image71
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

I completely agree with Kris Heeter.  I think she even wrote a hub about BPA in cans and bottles, which surprised me when I started reading it.  This is a very serious thing that needs to be taken care of for the sake of our health.

4. AkaiMiko profile image70
    AkaiMikoposted 6 years ago

This is very true.  Packaged foods not only have preservatives, but the containers themselves eventually break down on a chemical level and those chemicals have nowhere to go except in the food it's holding.  It would be very important, if you must have packaged food, to check the date it was packaged, not the date it 'expires'.

5. againsttheodds profile image79
    againsttheoddsposted 6 years ago

Bisphenol A has been entering into the collective consciousness of many health-concerned consumers as the controversial effects of the organic compound receive more scientific scrutiny. BPA in plastics has been identified through various studies as... read more

working