jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you make good, thick spaghetti sauce?

1. GA Anderson profile image83
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

How do you make good, thick spaghetti sauce?

2. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 5 years ago

By puree & stewed tomato sauces and onions, peppers, Italian sausage, ground beef, and simmer it over time.
    http://niftyat50.hubpages.com/hub/Three-Chefs-Spagetti

3. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Thick spaghetti sauce takes patience. Start with stewed tomatoes and add some tomato paste. The paste will help to thicken it up a bit. Add salt, sugar, pepper and spices to taste. I usually use thyme, oregano, marjoram, garlic powder, and basil. You can add onions, or use onion powder. You can add meat if you like. This is an all day kind of project. It will take time to cook it down. Once the thickness is to your liking, sit down, and enjoy a plate of your favorite pasta. We enjoy spaghetti sauce or burgers too.

4. vespawoolf profile image96
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

Tomato paste gives the sauce richness, but simmering the uncovered pot for a long period of time will evaporate the liquid and give you a thick, delicious sauce. See my hub "Italian Spaghetti Sauce Made with Garden Fresh Tomatoes" for more information.

5. JayDeck profile image70
    JayDeckposted 5 years ago

I don't. I make bad, thin spaghetti sauce. Really terrible stuff.

6. kklowell profile image61
    kklowellposted 5 years ago

I start with Roma tomatoes from my garden--then I squeeze out the seeds, puree them in my blender and cook for hours on very low heat. Add what ever supplemental ingredients you like but the primary ingredient to a thick sauce is patience. You will need that and time for your sauce to cook down enough to be considered thick.

working