Is there an easy way to tell if fungi that you find growing wild is safe to eat?

  1. maggs224 profile image86
    maggs224posted 5 years ago

    Is there an easy way to tell if fungi that you find growing wild is safe to eat?

    I was out for a walk in a wooded area and I came across some fungi growing on the side of a tree. I thought that it looked like it might be tasty but because I don't know anything about fungi I was too scared to take the risk in case I poisoned us all.

    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6343003_f260.jpg

  2. aspiretoinspire profile image60
    aspiretoinspireposted 5 years ago

    I don't think there is a safe well of telling. Usually authorities advise you not to eat any fungi in the wild unless you're with a fungi expert. Only recently some people died in Australia from eating death cap mushrooms.

    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/res … 0927127065

  3. sandra walsh profile image59
    sandra walshposted 5 years ago

    Please Maggs, whatever you do, don't pick & eat your own shrooms! Funny you are going down this path. I had a friend who was very knowledgeable of these things and would bring me picking. He said he still could not ever be 100 percent sure. He often told me that that the most poisonous are often mistaken for the most edible. Beware! "Probably a testing kit would be the safest bet", he would say. Normally, he would go to known areas where others had been picking for generations. I've talked to the old timers here in Spain and they also go to well known areas for picking. Even in Spain, Italy and Portugal there have been numerous poisonings... and not by amateurs! Take care.

 
working