jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How many of you would eat wild growing berries if you knew it was safe?

1. bje117 profile image90
    bje117posted 13 months ago

How many of you would eat wild growing berries if you knew it was safe?

Many people will not eat wild growing edible plants and berries and nuts. Would you pick and eat wild foods if you knew it was okay? What's the oddest thing you tried? Mine was yaupon holly tea which I had read would make you vomit and get high. It did neither and tasted a lot like red tea!!!

2. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

If I knew it was safe then definitely.  At our old place we had blackberry bushes growing beside the creek in our backyard, my daughter and I always pulled them right out of the bushes and snacked on them while we were out there.  I'm sure we ate a few bugs that were hiding in there but oh well.

I don't think we get many edible berries growing naturally around here.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 13 months ago

Yes, I do eat them. We have sasakatoon berries, strawberries and blueberries, raspberries all grow wild here. Mushrooms and wild onion. I love it in the summer time.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 months ago

When I was a boy in the UK we used to pick wild blackberries and several other types of berries and eat them.  No problems.   Mind you, we also used to steal fruit from people's fruit trees.  Maybe these apples, pears, plums, damsons and the like tasted even better because of the risk factor involved.

As a child (World War Two years) in England, I don't think I ever tasted a piece of fruit that was not either taken from the wild, or pinched from someone else's garden or a farmer's plot.    We even brought home carrots and potatoes purloined from nearby fields.   And the chastisement we got was really, tongue in cheek, for we were well aware how needed such added household food supplies were.