What can I do with quinoa?

1. Sunnyglitter profile image84
    Sunnyglitterposted 6 years ago

What can I do with quinoa?

I bought some on a whim and can't figure out what to do with it.  I used to eat it all the time, but that was over 5 years ago.  I can't remember what quinoa recipes are good.  I follow a primarily vegetarian diet, but I do eat chicken and fish sometimes.

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 6 years ago

I rarely eat quinoa, but I love those kind of mediterranean quinoa salads with chopped up tomatoes, a bit of garlic, maybe some sliced cucumbers, and lime juice. Mmmm. I'm sure there's  recipe for that and other quinoa stuff on allrecipes.com!

3. vespawoolf profile image96
    vespawoolfposted 6 years ago

I use quinoa instead of bulgur in tabouli. I also prepare quinoa as I would oatmeal for a healthy breakfast. You can add precooked quinoa to smoothies for breakfast, as well. Use it as a substitute for rice in rice pilaf as in this recipe:

Quinoa Pilaf
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    1/4 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted

1. Saute 1/4 cup onions and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in quinoa and curry powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until quinoa turns golden.
    2. In a saucepan, heat broth and salt. Pour over quinoa mixture; stir. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in craisins, almonds and remaining onions.

working