jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Is french fries or onion rings a bad craving comfort food? What are your options

1. coffeegginmyrice profile image84
    coffeegginmyriceposted 5 years ago

Is french fries or onion rings a bad craving comfort food? What are your options to a healthier CF?

Comfort food can go beyond its purpose when it turns into craving. We know that deep fried fatty foods like this fries and onion rings don't really give out nutrients but we look for them and enjoy eating them. It becomes a culprit when we get totally out of control. What are your ways to turning comfort food such as french fries and onion rings into a better healthy choice?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6480730_f260.jpg

2. Carrie Terry profile image60
    Carrie Terryposted 5 years ago

They are the best comfort foods I know but to cut down on the fatty fat stuff is a bake mine.  taste different but so much better.

coffeegginmyriceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Carrie! My kids would agree the same about onion rings and french fries...KIDS! But thanks to a portable toaster oven, it is convenient & quick to just throw them into the tray, no oil. But kids have to try healthier baked veggie chips!

3. Nomascus concolor profile image61
    Nomascus concolorposted 5 years ago

Yes, they are not the best cravings to have - I know I love carrots, I would eat them all the time... like a rabbit... but this might seem weired to some people :p it might be good to vary your cravings as well, as it is never good to always eat the same thing.

Carrots is a much healthier option to crave for, Nomascus concolor, thanks! It is good for the eyes too! Only, the ready-packed baby carrots have chlorine and is not as better than the carrots that we still have to remove off the skin. smile

4. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 5 years ago

They are a very unhealthy craving if the craving strikes very often, but similar effects might be able to be achieved by, say, spicing slices of onion and baking them without breading. This cuts out the excess grease and most of the carbs. Instead of French fries, perhaps try some baked summer squash fries or baked zucchini chips. Alternatively, if fried foods must be had, try lightly frying in a bit of olive oil with very light breading in a skillet or wok instead of dumping them into a deep fryer.

That's a thinking healthy there, wychic! I'm glad you put up some choices. Now, my girls just have to try and like baked squash fries or zucchini chips! I would love these for sure! Thank you and crave healthy. smile

5. Karen N profile image60
    Karen Nposted 5 years ago

Everything in moderation.
    Something that I really enjoy is sweet potato fries made in the oven, they are so delicious.

Oh this is my favourite potato fries-- the sweet potato! I used to purchase a frozen bag of sweet potato fries from a restaurant before. And have it oven-baked helps do the trick and eat while it's still warm because it easily wrinkles and wilts.

working