jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

To be or Not to be Vegetarian: love of meat vs love of animals...

1. Nomascus concolor profile image61
    Nomascus concolorposted 5 years ago

To be or Not to be Vegetarian: love of meat vs love of animals...

picture from thrumyeye on deviantart

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6534464_f260.jpg

2. Monay Love profile image60
    Monay Loveposted 5 years ago

As a once off and on vegetarian, to a vegetarian, I chose to not eat meat anymore because I love animals. I grew up in a family that consumed high amounts of meat, but as I got older, I started to move away from that. I'm a vegetarian that still consumes dairy products. I don't knowingly consume dairy, because some products just have dairy in it and I may not have realized until after I purchased it and read the label. However, it was a conscious decision based upon spiritual reasoning and personal preference.

3. HarperDavis profile image59
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

Not everyone is a veg because they live animals. Though I now protest how animals are treated by the meat industry I became one after enduring years of health issues.

I think it really comes down to which values win for you. If you're so against something you'd rather abstain, go ahead! It's your decision alone. smile

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

The brutal truth of life is that our existence takes up space. That space is maintained through the exertion of force. We are essentially destroyers, consuming nutrients around us to continue to exist. We chew up and destroy anything that comes into our space. Cute animal photos aren't reality. They are just the things people stare at and smile so they can ignore the harsh reality of life. Certainly there are things we can do to limit unnecessary damage to the world around us. We can't eliminate it. We all kill animals, regardless of what we eat. Vegetarianism, non-vegetarianism is a false choice. The real choice regarding food involves examining the overall system costs of an entire food production system. Plant matter food production systems aren't necessarily lower impact than meat systems. The system has to be examined for things like nutrient inputs (fertilizers, water) and for transportation/equipment costs, land-use changes, soil degradation, etc.

working