jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the most hygienic way to sanitize cutting boards after cutting fresh mea

1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
    DonnaCosmatoposted 5 years ago

What is the most hygienic way to sanitize cutting boards after cutting fresh meat?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image85
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

I'll tell you a story I heard from a former butcher in Sligo, Ireland.

Once upon a time, at the end of the day, butchers would pour boiling water over their butcher's blocks, and then sand them down a bit before closing the shop. Then the Irish government passed a law that all butcher's blocks had to be made of plastic. It was thought that microbes were hiding in the wood and making people ill.

So the butchers started using plastic blocks to cut their meat on, and while they still poured water over them at the end of the day, they couldn't really sand them. Well, the microbes hid in the cuts and nicks that the knives and cleavers made, and food-borne illness went way up. Now they're using wood again.

So, TL;DR: Use a wood cutting board, and when you're done, pour boiling water over the cutting surface, then sand it down a bit.

1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
      DonnaCosmatoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love this story! Guess I'll hang onto my wooden cutting boards just a little longer.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Use different boards for meat, fish, and vegetables.  After use, rub them down with salt and then rinse under the  running tap.

working