jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What are some good ways to season food without adding sodium?

1. ithabise profile image87
    ithabiseposted 5 years ago

What are some good ways to season food without adding sodium?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6592392_f260.jpg

2. Kebennett1 profile image59
    Kebennett1posted 5 years ago

I cook without salt and have for several years now. My favorite spices to use are fresh garlic, onions, rosemary (I have a few bushes) and bell-pepper. I also use dried Italian Seasoning a lot, it is great on almost anything. Chili powder and cumin which I use with garlic, onion and bell-pepper for Mexican dishes. You can add a hot pepper like Jalapeno or cayenne if your not allergic like I am.  I use lemon-pepper and garlic on Fish with a squeeze of lemon juice, it is also good on Chicken. The sweeter spices like lavender, anise, rosemary, sage, basil and tarragon are great with chicken and pork. Curry powder is great with chicken, fish and pork. I also use unsalted canned tomatoes for flavoring and to tenderize with. All of these are good on vegetables! I use olive oil and unsalted butter or Pam spray. I hope this helps!

ithabiseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is excellent advice, and I thank you!

3. anglnwu profile image90
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

Fresh herbs and spices bring out the natural flavor of foods without salt. Fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, basil, oregano, rosemary, even garlic and onion are good options.  Spices add another interesting dimension to food--consider cayenne, curry powder, cumin, coriander and turmeric. With so much flavor from these natural seasonings, you'll not be missing the salt.

ithabiseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excellent! It's time for a change!

working