jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What criterion is used to classify red meat? Where would you place a duck's meat

1. Anjili profile image81
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

What criterion is used to classify red meat? Where would you place a duck's meat?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

I think of red meat as the muscle of fauna colored by red blood. Beef is red meat, for example. Pork used to be, but the tenderer cuts of today's feedlot raised pigs, e.g. the loin, are a mild white muscle instead. I no longer think of that as red meat. Duck is fowl, not fauna, even if its is a darker, gamier muscle than, say, chicken produced in cages with formulaic feed.

1. teaches12345 profile image95
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with Attikos in description.  I think duck would still be classified as poultry or wild game.  I love duck anytime.

3. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Any big, warm-blooded mammal without wings that has a decent supply of blood pumping through its veins, is considered red meat.  Hmm... I'm hungry now; ha!

4. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

Red meat is 'meat on the hoof', cattle, sheep (although veal, essentially meat from calves not in pasture and fed only on milk is classified 'white meat'). Duck raised domestically, as with chicken is 'fowl', wild duck, grouse, pheasant etc is 'wildfowl', although it can also be termed 'game'; deer raised domestically is the same meat as wild, although not 'game', i.e., red meat. Horsemeat, consumed largely on the Continent of Europe, is also red meat (witness for example Hungarian Salami). Danish and Italian Salami is usually pork, even thought it is pinkish-red coloured but not strictly 'red meat'. That's a rule of thumb on these shores, although other nationalities might disagree. What anybody does to the meat prior to consumption has no bearing on its classification, such as Chinese duck being treated with spices to turn the meat a vivid red.

working