jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

If you had a pound of beautiful, fresh wild rice from Minnesota, how would you c

1. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

If you had a pound of beautiful, fresh wild rice from Minnesota, how would you cook it?

I was delighted to find it in my mailbox this evening, a gift from a friend who lives there. It doesn't grow here in the South, so it's a rare treat for me, and I'm seeking experienced suggestions.

2. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I love wild rice and veggie salad! I also add it to my regular brown rice, it gives it a nice crunch. Love wild rice, but they can be expensive here, and can't always find.

Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem. When I can get it in the local stores, it's not of the best quality. My friend up north was generous to send it. Thanks for your response.

3. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

One of my favorite ways to fix any rice is to first fry the rice in olive oil in a skillet.  This breaks opens the pods, then add chicken stock and cook on medium low to medium, stirring occassionally.  You will have to add more stock as the liquid boils away.  This usually takes about half an hour for finish product!

Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I cook brown rice in an open pot like that, just as you would risotto, usually with some sauteed onion or other aromatic. I've never tried it with wild rice (which is a grass, not a rice), but it should work. Thanks for the comment.

2. LaThing profile image73
      LaThingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have never tried it this way either. Sounds interesting.... Will give it a try.

3. backporchstories profile image81
      backporchstoriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Barely cover the pan with olive oil....

working