jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

My sister has started making chutney. I'm not sure what it is: jam, sweet curry

1. That Grrl profile image73
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

My sister has started making chutney. I'm not sure what it is: jam, sweet curry or something else?

Its almost like a sweet curry jam. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. I'm not much of a jam person. But it was nice on a bagel this morning.

2. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 5 years ago

I applaud your sister! Chutney is a sweet/sour condiment native to India. It is/was typically served with a curry; chicken, lamb, goat (in Jamaica for instance), shrimp, etc. along with side dishes of shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raisins, etc. It is used like a salsa - on the side to add character to a dish.

It became popular in England, and is associated with Major Gray's put out by Cross and Blackwell. I don't believe they make it anymore as C&B has been bought by Smuckers. Mango chutney is the best known variety, but like salsas, each cook has his or her favorite combination of fruits and sweeteners. Vinegar adds the tang.

The consistency should be soft but not runny. Put up in fancy jars it makes a wonderful seasonal gift.

That Grrlposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the information. You know a lot about chutney. My sister likes to use whatever she has around. This week we tried it with peaches which had been in the freezer awhile. It was great, but I don't usually like much spicy taste.

3. RoxiM profile image60
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

We made peach chutney last year for Christmas gifts. We included raisins, chunks of crystallized ginger, currants, sugar, hot peppers, and spices. The nice thing about chutney is that you can use almost any fruit, including ripe or green tomatoes, and can vary the spices and the heat level. I like to make mine with a little bite -- lots of peppers.

That Grrlposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think I'd like it if it were less spicy. But, it did have a lot of flavour. I may try it myself this summer as the fruit starts to ripen locally. A nice change from jam and pies.

working